Hello!

Mr_Under_Hill

Location (City and/or State)
Big Rapids
A few weeks ago I brought home my first tortoise after nearly 30 years of wanting one. A Russian Tortoise named "Boris". The pet shop estimated that he was 1-2 years old, so I wonder if he might be wild-caught or if it's just that the young lady helping me didn't know for sure. I built him a table out of an old dog bed - roughly 1.5x3 ft. Working on a bigger one, but this should be big enough in the meantime. I am a little concerned that his scutes look a little flaky and some image searches lead me to think it might be shell rot, so if anyone can clear that up, I would appreciate it!

Boris September 2020.jpgTable with Lid.jpg

TortoiseWarrior

5 Year Member
Minnesota

Happytort27

CA
Follow the care sheet that TortoiseWarrior linked as close as possible.

I can’t really see the flaky scutes, but make sure to soak him every day in warm water for about 20 minutes.

It’s very rare to see a Russian tortoise have shell rot. I’ve personally never actually seen it, so don’t worry too much about that. Just make sure that he’s well-hydrated and has the correct diet and setup.

Your substrate looks a little dry. I would pour about a cup or two of water in there and mix it up. Along with that, i would sink in the water bowl so it’ll be easier for Boris to climb in and out.

I think he’s a little bit older than 1-2. My guess is that he’s about 5-10 years old? I’m not completely sure though. Either way, a full grown Russian will need a 4x8 ft enclosure. They need lots of room to roam.

Hope this helps!

Mr_Under_Hill

Big Rapids
Thanks for the tips and care sheet! I’ll have to amend my original travel upgrade plan since it sounds like it still wouldn’t have been big enough!

I’ve moistened the substrate and starting tonight he is getting more frequent soaks.

I’m glad I found this forum!

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Hello! There is a lot of great info on here for Boris

I would also say 5-10, leaning closer to 10 and wild caught most likely. That's how most pet stores get them unfortunately.

Follow that care guide and you 2 will have a long happy life together ?

Welcome to the forum, you have a cutie!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I am a little concerned that his scutes look a little flaky and some image searches lead me to think it might be shell rot, so if anyone can clear that up, I would appreciate it!

Shell rot almost never happens on the carapace of a tortoise. It is mainly a problem on the plastron.

What you see is normal wear 'n tear on his shell that he got during his wild days. They get scrapes, bumps, and dings from rocks, predators, fighting etc. Soak him daily to help hydrate his shell, along with the rest of his body.

I agree re' that water dish. The vertical sides make a tortoise stand to get over them. If they fall backward, they can end up on their backs in the water. Better to use a terra cotta plant pot saucer sunk down even with the substrate.