Hello!!

laekyn

Location (City and/or State)
Conway, AR
I am new to the turtle thing! At my moms house, we found 3 turtle eggs. My boyfriend and I decided to put the eggs in a box, with the same dirt we found them in. One of them has now hatched and the second is starting to hatch. I definitely need all the help I can get. I am not sure what type of turtle they are exactly. We are in central Arkansas and we found the eggs in the loose dirt around our house! I am excited to learn how to take care of these babies. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

IMG_3522.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It looks like a box turtle to me. Did you put it in a little dish of water? It should be soaked daily and kept on moist substrate with lots of leaf litter to hide in.

laekyn

Conway, AR
It looks like a box turtle to me. Did you put it in a little dish of water? It should be soaked daily and kept on moist substrate with lots of leaf litter to hide in.
Yes, I added a dish of water in the box. I will add some leaf litter as well. Thank you!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

My what a big head it has, but it could be just the odd angle of the photo. Those bony spinal protuberances make me want to guess Box Turtle.

Regardless of type, make sure you give this guy some nice daily soaks, and lots of “leaf litter” into its’ enclosure so it has some good places to hide. Not too much sunshine. Maybe a few worms, slugs and pillbugs added will provide some natural things for it to hunt down.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My what a big head it has, but it could be just the odd angle of the photo. Those bony spinal protuberances make me want to guess Box Turtle.

Regardless of type, make sure you give this guy some nice daily soaks, and lots of “leaf litter” into its’ enclosure so it has some good places to hide. Not too much sunshine. Maybe a few worms, slugs and pillbugs added will provide some natural things for it to hunt down.
Yeah, that big head had me wondering too, but the shell certainly does look box turtle.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Most likely a Three Toed Box turtle Hatchling.

laekyn

Conway, AR
Here is a better angle! just a few days since it has hatched!

Attachments

• 7D0EB6B5-1FAB-47D8-91B4-E5940586A527.jpeg
    7D0EB6B5-1FAB-47D8-91B4-E5940586A527.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4