Hello!

Marcospoon

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
Hello everyone!

I will be purchasing a Russian Tortoise as a family pet In a few days. I can’t wait to chat and meet others who I can exchange ideas with! I’m really excited, I love these animals.

Thanks!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello, and welcome to TFO!

You've come to the best place to learn everything about your new family member.

You didn't say where you are buying your tortoise, or if it a hatchling or an adult. Either way, please know that pet stores are terrible places to learn how to care for him. All they want to do is sell you equipment that you don't need and sometimes is downright dangerous. The employees have no clue of proper care.

Also, sadly, most vets don't know much about them either. They are just not up to date on modern ways of care. You need to find a good exotics vet that really knows tortoises, and then hope you never have to meet him.

Here on this forum we have keepers who have spent many years experimenting, recording results, and discovering better methods of tort husbandry. Then they come here and share their expertise. Why? Because they love these animals! No one here makes any money. We do it because we care.

I tell you this because you may find that some of our care sheets differ from anything else you have read. Please, don't look anywhere else. You're where you should be.

Here are some links to care sheets. I included hatchling info in case it is needed. In any case, it makes good reading.

ISU

South Korea
Hello and welcome. I hope you get a healthy and beautiful tort

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, great that you are doing your homework first. Karen gave you everything you need to know.
Good luck finding your new friend.