Hello!

willee638

Location (City and/or State)
HK
My name is Jennifer and I just recently got my first Sulcata Tortoise name Hermione after wanting one for several years. She is a 7 year-old 25ish lb female. I would love any and all information on how to take care of her especially outdoor enclosures and plants to use in them.View attachment 288371
I was at a cross road when deciding on getting a Sulcata or a red foot tortoise just about 2 months ago, Sulcatas were very small as hatchlings & very attractive but I eventually choose a RF because they tend to eat a larger variety of foods. Sulcatas can get up to over a hundred pounds as adults & most ideal raising them outdoors, I actually prefer large tortoises but space is a concern. How much can she eat a day? I guess mostly vegetables & melons, leafy greens?

Jennw30

Chattanooga
I was at a cross road when deciding on getting a Sulcata or a red foot tortoise just about 2 months ago, Sulcatas were very small as hatchlings & very attractive but I eventually choose a RF because they tend to eat a larger variety of foods. Sulcatas can get up to over a hundred pounds as adults & most ideal raising them outdoors, I actually prefer large tortoises but space is a concern. How much can she eat a day? I guess mostly vegetables & melons, leafy greens?

So sorry I just saw this! She is a he named Mortimer now and he eats mostly grass with leafy greens topped with supplements thrown in

willee638

HK
Regardless what they are we love them all the same, sulcatas are very attractive & small as hatchlings but also considerably more expensive where I'm located. I take my red foot out for sun light as often as I can & he/she enjoys being out in the open grass fields immensely for up to hour or sometimes more, they like to nibble on fresh grass too.