Hello

atlfrog

Location (City and/or State)
US
Hey folks! I dont know what to say other than Ive been involved with reptiles and amphibians for a better part of 25 years. I currently have 5 Russian tortoises and nothing else at the moment. Nice to meet you all and great to be here.IMG_6214.jpeg20180727_204557.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. You have come to the right place too learn all the newer and much better tortoise care info.
One adult Russian needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure. They also benefit from some humidity.
Please read our caresheets and make adjustments.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Agreed. Those tortoises look awfully cramped in the enclosure and hide shown in your pictures. Where's the other three Russians hiding?

atlfrog

US
I am quite taken back by the condescending tone and assumptions made by the recent responces without knowing what my current habitats and routines are.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I am quite taken back by the condescending tone and assumptions made by the recent responces without knowing what my current habitats and routines are.

I'm only commenting on what I'm seeing. I would have written the same response if I saw those pictures from a new owner with zero years of experience and even a licensed breeder with numerous five star reviews. It just doesn't look comfortable to me.

Small hides can contribute to possible scute damage. The width of the enclosure shown looks like it may very well be under 2 feet. If provided with little to no information would you also not see what I see?

I thought Wellington's use of tact was pretty spot on, hence the "like".

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
You are correct. Sometimes members of this forum, as well as others, jump to conclusions before researching the facts. I believe the reason is that sadly, so often the conclusions are correct, and torts are suffering miserably.
Please let me ask that we get started again, this time in a better way.

Welcome to the forum! Lots of members here have Russians ( I have a desert tort), and if you need help with something, ask away!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

Stick around and let us get to know you. We can only comment on what you've allowed us to see. Didn't mean to rub you the wrong way. We only have the best interest of your tortoises at heart.

atlfrog

US
Ill let this all go but let me assure you that every animal in my home is healthy, happy and loved. In that order. I do however want to explain a little about the photos ot at least one. The pictures I have shared are normal tortoise behavior, not sad, unhappy or miserable. I could explain the pictures in depth but I am afraid of the harsh assessments from members of this forum that are far from the truth. Just to make one thing clear the second photo was taken shortly after the basking light was turned on and me taking a pic while he was in there. I hate being so defensive but I take what I do very serious and I have taken so much time and energy to know each of the species I ever had throughout the years. For a person who is a senior member of 12 years on a specialized forum for Amphibians, its sad that this whole post of just saying hello had to come to such aggressiveness toward a new member that wants to be here and share love with everyone else. I will leave it at this before I am banned....to all those who were nice and willing to give a 2 post new member a chance thank you....to the others back off and learn from people because its truly sad to know that you are willing to close doors to new friends. I wish you all the best! Lets turtle on...

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome to the forum; we are glad you’re here! It’s always good to meet a long-term owner.

I’m sorry you felt rushed at. Folks here see many, many tortoises in poor enclosures in the intro section and because we are so focused on their health, we jump into that topic very fast. Some new members are good with it; some are definitely not!

No matter what your background, you are going to hear from many members that housing Russians in pairs or groups of three is not good; a larger group in a large space is okay. It’s okay if you don’t agree, just giving you a heads up. We see a lot of unhealthy tortoises who are not solitary and again, their health calls out strong responses from some members. It’s not personal.

P.S., You’re not going to get banned for a response that only reflects a strong opinion! Plenty of those around here. :)