Hello

Daveypryme

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
I'm new to the tortoise forum and new to owning a tortoise. I have already posted in other categories on this site. I was so anxious to find out about my new leopard tortoises I headed straight for the African tortoise thread, and skipped right past the introduction thread. I recently decided to become a tortoise owner. After doing a little reaserch I went to the pet store and purchased two 5 year old leopard tortoises. They couldn't tell me much about them except for the basic care and how old they were. The previous owner brought them in because they couldn't care for them anymore. I was told I had to buy both tortoises because they needed companions and they had already been together. I brought them home and soon noticed the slightly larger toirtoised would ram into and get on top of the smaller one. I found out they are both males and should not be kept together, thanks to the help of some people on this forum. I have an outdoor enclosure set up but could use some advice on what to add or take away. I Haven't planted any plants due to I'm not sure what is safe for them to eat. I live in southern Indiana, the wheather is starting to get in the low 60's at night so I also need to know what I could plant this late in the year. Thanks for the help.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello n welcome. You did build them each their own enclosure right? If not do that ASAP. This late I don't know if you could plant much. Maybe some weed seeds for next year. Check out tortoisesupply
For seeds.

Daveypryme

Indiana
Hello n welcome. You did build them each their own enclosure right? If not do that ASAP. This late I don't know if you could plant much. Maybe some weed seeds for next year. Check out tortoisesupply
For seeds.
I have them in seperate outdoor enclosures, but due to the limited space inside my house I cannot build another indoor inclosure. sadly I have to re home one of them. I'm currently working on finding the right home.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have them in seperate outdoor enclosures, but due to the limited space inside my house I cannot build another indoor inclosure. sadly I have to re home one of them. I'm currently working on finding the right home.
that's right. I do remember your other thread about that. good luck.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Davey
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440387791.623926.jpg
We have so many people that have all the info. On torts . Why would you go to a pet store to get torts ? See the people here that can and will help the most . But have a great tort day !

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
m1277.gif

nextep

Your enclosure looks great! If you want to add anything I've read about a heated night box, which seems great idea if it gets very cold. I don't think you need to plant any plants but you can get leaves and leave them out to dry and them mix it with food. :)