Hello to all

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandT

5 Year Member
Hello!

My name is Tiffany and like many other posts that I have read I have been to this site a couple times reading posts and getting some insights from you all that have these incredible animals. My partner Rose and I have two sulcatas, Akeelah and Kenji, and they have been a part of are family for a couple years. We live in Colorado and don't have the best of weather, but so far it has been fine for our little's. We got them both when their were a little over a year and we got Akeelah first, we fell in love with his large eyes and bought him the day we met her. We then got Kenji almost a year after so Akeelah would have a pal, not sure if that was totally true. However we found Kenji and knew she needed to be part of our family.
My main reason for signing on is we are in a slight dilemma and are trying to figure out if we are truly the right fit for them or if we should find a better home. We both work a lot and my mother in law who lives with us is getting to where she can't pick them up and their really not that big yet. So we are hoping to get some advice and insight so we can make the best decision for Akeelah and Kenji.
153.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Tiffany, and welcome to the Forum!

If you set your tortoises up outside in a safe and escape-proof yard/habitat, there is no longer a need to pick them up. Your two tortoises are a good size to now live outside. When winter comes along, you can set them up either in the basement, or devote a room to them in the house.

The tortoises need a pretty big space, and, I'm sorry to say it, but if you can't provide them with a very large winter-time area indoors, it might be a good idea to think about trying to find them a home in a state a little more southerly than Colorado. (I hope the heavy rains and flooding aren't causing you any trouble)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). I agree with everything Yvonne said. Specially the part about the weather parts of Colorado is getting. Sure hope its not near you or any other forum member.

RandT

5 Year Member
Thank you for the welcome, at this time they have a spot outside and on our porch and they have enjoyed it out their all summer. We fear that the winters will be hard for them, we never know what kind of winter we'll have especially with this crazy unpredictable weather we are trying to prepare as best as possible. We have looked into indoor options as well as weather proof sheds that we can make into their home, but yes looking for a more southern home is on are radar at this time as well.

Also thank you for the kind thoughts we are in Colorado Springs so we got hit pretty bad but luckily only our back yard flooded. Love the advice and I hope you both have a wonderful weekend.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It truly depends, in my opinion, what you can afford to do and how much work you want it to be. I live in Chicago with a leopard. He is approx. 9 inches and I built a 8x12 insulated heated shed for him for this winter. Of course two Sullies will require much more room then my one leopard, and yours may need to have their own enclosures if or when they start to bully/fight. But, if you have the room and means, it can be done.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Maybe you can jury-rig some sort of insulated space on the porch. Maybe put up styrofoam insulation around the bottom/wood part, with plywood to protect the foam, then a couple sheets, one on the inside and another on the outside of plastic sheeting, stapled to the porch posts. Then you can use an oil-filled heater to keep the porch warm. I use a lot of plastic film here to keep out the cold weather. It works pretty well, but your electric bill is quite high.

Status
Not open for further replies.