Hello there!

Linzie

Hi!

My name is Linzie and I'm from Northeast Louisiana, US. I have just obtained my very first tortoise! I've always wanted one but knew that I wanted a Sulcata and had to wait until I had more than enough room to have him live most of his life outdoors. I also have 4 Bearded Dragons, 1 Crested Gecko, a Corn snake and a Siberian Husky.

He/she came in this morning and is only 14 months old so I don't know the sex yet, I'll call him he just to make it easier. Haven't named him yet, waiting on my boyfriend, who purchased him for me for my birthday, to get home and we pick one together. Currently he is only a little over 4" big but I know that will soon change. Right now I have him in an oversized rubbermaid tub with a heat lamp, thermometer with a probe, UVB tube and lots of hides and things to climb on. Saturday, when I'll be there all day, will be his first day in his outdoor enclosure. I wanted to be able to watch him all day to make sure I didn't miss anything that would get him hurt or able to escape. I've planted several hibiscus bushes/tree's, some daylilies and one berunium for him to forage on. As well, the grass is Bermuda and he has a stash of grass hay to munch on. I've read care guides over and over, but I'm still always afraid I'll miss something! So if there are any Sulcata keepers out there that really know their stuff, feel free to ask me questions to be sure I've not missed anything.

I also bought a chicken coop, I know it sounds crazy but it's adorable, for his outdoor home. It's easy to set up with a heat lamp and the door latches shut, so that he would be extra safe at night. The whole outdoor space is about 20x20 feet or so, 1/4 of it is shaded. The entire area with the exception one small section is fenced by 8 ft tall brick, the iron gate we reinforced to be sure it's secure. When he gets to his adult size our privacy fenced back yard is almost an acre, so he'll have much more room back there.

I attached the only pictures I have so far, I have more videos than anything else :)
Oh and I forgot to mention. I gave him a quick soak right after I took him out of the box because I thought he might be a touch dehydrated, he drank a good bit of water from it! I put him in his temporary enclosure and he pooped twice, ate a few bites of grass hay, took a chunk out of his cuttlebone then moved for non-stop the rest of the hour I was home. Never hid, only acted slightly shy when I'd move my hand around him.

279.JPG 61kVZr--sHL__SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) I'm. It a sulcata owner, but do own tortoises, leopards which is similar in care. Your little one is very cute. He does have some pyramiding started. I would set him up with a warm 80 degree night time area, that also has 89% humidity and you can get the new growth to grow in smoother. Coconut coir works great for enclosure substrate and holds humidity very good. Other then that, and soaking him in warm water 3-4 times a week for 20-30 minutes, it sounds like you got thing going good.
Don't forget more pics and inform us of his name when it's figured out.
If you read Toms threads below in my post, you will have a good understanding of how he should have been raised before you got him and then a better understanding about the need for humidity.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
BTW, very cute chicken/tort house. I would put some sides on the ramp so he doesn't fall off and end up on his back.

Linzie

Hello and Welcome:) I'm. It a sulcata owner, but do own tortoises, leopards which is similar in care. Your little one is very cute. He does have some pyramiding started. I would set him up with a warm 80 degree night time area, that also has 89% humidity and you can get the new growth to grow in smoother. Coconut coir works great for enclosure substrate and holds humidity very good. Other then that, and soaking him in warm water 3-4 times a week for 20-30 minutes, it sounds like you got thing going good.
Don't forget more pics and inform us of his name when it's figured out.
If you read Toms threads below in my post, you will have a good understanding of how he should have been raised before you got him and then a better understanding about the need for humidity.

Hey!

Thanks for your reply! Yeah, the pyramiding is unfortunate. I got him from the breeder I got my beardies from and she had taken in 4, 14 month old Sulcata's. Mine had the least amount of pyramiding but they had been given to her by someone who wasn't caring for them properly. They were living indoors and fed things that you would feed a beardie. Veggies, grocery greens, fruit, etc. She's had a time getting them use to eating grass hay and weeds but they eventually gave in.

Right now I have his enclosure at 85 degrees with a basking spot of 95, cool side is 80. Humidity is 46% but when he goes outdoors Saturday the humidity will be MUCH higher since I live in Louisiana and it generally stays between 70-90% humid here. I'll add some moist items to his current set up to get it up for the next few days. I do have some coconut fiber I could use as well. I have CHE's already so I'll set that up for him at night. Nighttime temps outside here are between 75-85. I'll definitely do the soaks, I'm use to that with my other reptiles.

Thanks again, if you can think of anything else feel free to share. I'll read the article you suggested as well.

Linzie

BTW, very cute chicken/tort house. I would put some sides on the ramp so he doesn't fall off and end up on his back.
Ohhh yes, great idea about the sides, thank you! I forgot one thing...I haven't been able to find if this is normal or not but he slightly moves his head and all legs in and out every few seconds. To me it looks like breathing but wanted to verify that.

And here are more photos :)
image.jpg image.jpg

Shakudo

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
Welcome Linzie,

What a lovely tortoise!
What you describe seems like normal breathing.

Enjoy your new friend! :)

Take care!

Joey

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Linzie welcome to the TFO from AZ . If your tort gets cold do what I would do take him to Burbon STif that don't work by him a plane ticket to Florida ( just kidding ) have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Linzie, and welcome to the forum!

Beautiful little sulcata. I wouldn't call that slight bumpiness 'pyramiding' at all. He looks great.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome......

I have to say that torts house are so very cool. I like it.

Linzie

Welcome Linzie,

What a lovely tortoise!
What you describe seems like normal breathing.

Enjoy your new friend! :)

Take care!

Joey

Thank you! I am already :)
Hello and Welcome......

I have to say that torts house are so very cool. I like it.

Hey! Thank you!! I haven't put it together yet, it said "some" assembly would be required, they lied..FULL assembly is required lol! It is awesome though, I was looking at rubbermaids and wondered into these and thought they would work great. The roof, which is fully shingled, is removable so that I can install a CHE. It's also already weather and insect treated fir wood. Hoping it will last him a long time, at least until he grows out of it.