Hello TF!

tortillasdaddy

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Hello everyone, my name is Ivan and my Sulcata hatchling’s name is Tortilla(Tortie for short). 5CF61171-2821-48D0-AA95-DD486FCE9D01.jpeg

I built him this enclosure:

28441BA2-80C8-448D-8D6C-688DF9CAC8C5.jpeg

he loves it, uses every hide, even climbs on top of his log and sleeps on it like snoopy from peanuts. The reason I decided to join the TF fam is because I’m curious if this Mercury vapor bulb could potentially be harmful to Tortie’s eyes. On one hand I’ve heard MVBs are pretty safe and as you can tell the the hotspot is on the first level and the second story only gets the not so concentrated light. On the other hand he can get pretty close to it and I’ve seen him facing towards it sometimes with his eyes open, not too often though. I also did some tests to see if he could see and he seems to be fine. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advanced from Tortie and I, and thank you for having us!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Ivan!

Most of us here have evolved away from using the MVB because they are so hot and tend to desiccate the poor little tortoises' shells. I now use the T-5 tube type fluorescent UVB coupled with a ceramic heat emitter. Take a tour though our lighting section and pay attention to the posts made by markw84 and tom.

tortillasdaddy

Los Angeles
Welcome to the Forum, Ivan!

Most of us here have evolved away from using the MVB because they are so hot and tend to desiccate the poor little tortoises' shells. I now use the T-5 tube type fluorescent UVB coupled with a ceramic heat emitter. Take a tour though our lighting section and pay attention to the posts made by markw84 and tom.
Thanks Yvonne!