Hello-newbie here

Status
Not open for further replies.

samstar

5 Year Member
Hi all,

My first post here and i have a very long way to go, a lot to learn from you'll. I just brought home my 2 Stars 4-5 days back and am really enjoying them. I love animals, have owned a water dragon, red eared sliders, arowanas, dogs, dumeril monitors, green iguanas and the list goes on and on but now I only have two stars and dont plan on getting anything else. I've attached photos of my stars. Lucky for me it's warm, sunny, humid 24/7 so today I let my stars run around my garden under the sun for an hour.

View attachment 3217

Last edited by a moderator:

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Those torties are so cute and tiny! Stick around on this forum and you will get lots of good advice on substrate (probably you'll need to replace the astroturf), lighting, temperature, diet, etc, so your little babies will grow up healthy and strong!

Welcome!

samstar

5 Year Member
Thanks for the warm welcome. Pardon me but what's an astroturf?
Just to give you'll an idea the temperature where I'm from ranges between 25-38 degrees celcius throughout the year and humidity levels range between 70-90% throughout the year. My stars are always kept indoors unless I bring them out to my garden. I am using two basking lamps and the tube(basically UVB and UVA) to process their calcium with reptile carpet. I like the reptile carpet as it is easy to clean. i feed them vegetable leaves mixed with Mazuri tortoise food and twice a week I also mix the first two with calcium powder. Once every two days I put them in a dish of shallow water for 10 minutes and wipe them clean after. I also leave a small lid filled with water in the tub for them to drink when they get thirsty which they do sometimes. My only worry is that I dont know of any reptile vets at my side of the world. Please advise me of any do's or dont's.

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
Welcome to the forum! It is great that you started right away here. You will have a lot of experienced owners that will be able to give you some great advise. Here is a link to a care sheet that looks to be very helpful on temp ranges, housing and food. http://home.earthlink.net/~rednine/elegans.html I recomend that you read a few different care sheets because most have a few slight differences and as you learn what you little guys like the most you will pull things from the different sources. As for a vet-- I had to call several vet clinics in my area to see if they had a vet that had experience or specialized in reptiles. Your stars are very beautiful. Do you have names yet?

samstar

5 Year Member
Weloveourtortoise said:
Welcome to the forum! It is great that you started right away here. You will have a lot of experienced owners that will be able to give you some great advise. Here is a link to a care sheet that looks to be very helpful on temp ranges, housing and food. http://home.earthlink.net/~rednine/elegans.html I recomend that you read a few different care sheets because most have a few slight differences and as you learn what you little guys like the most you will pull things from the different sources. As for a vet-- I had to call several vet clinics in my area to see if they had a vet that had experience or specialized in reptiles. Your stars are very beautiful. Do you have names yet?

Thanks for the link, no names yet, maybe tortie and piglet,,,lets see.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sameer:

2436651kcfhmgfh42.gif

to the forum!

Astroturf is another name for the reptile carpet you are using. Not a good idea because you can't keep it slightly moist to aid in the overall humidity of the habitat.

Yvonne

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum! Cute stars...can't wait for more pics:)

samstar

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Sameer:

2436651kcfhmgfh42.gif

to the forum!

Astroturf is another name for the reptile carpet you are using. Not a good idea because you can't keep it slightly moist to aid in the overall humidity of the habitat.

Yvonne

Wow thats a nice welcome banner.The thing is where I'm from, it's humid througout the year and especially in the early morning, dues form on most things outside the house including the astroturf I hope..

Thanks once again for the warm wlecomes friends. Today I fed them lettuce with Mazuri and a little calcium powder. They ate it all up.

Status
Not open for further replies.