Hello.... newbie here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thorsmom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
West coast of Florida.
Well hello everyone!
My names Rachel, I'm a wife, mom of two teenagers, huge animal lover and I live on the west coast of Florida.
I'm the proud owner of one toy poodle, two cats, six assorted chickens and now Thor, a male adult redfoot tortoise!!!

A little history on how I came to have him.
A client of my husband has fallen on rough times and his teenage son, Thor's main care giver has moved out of town, so they needed a new home for Thor (my husband chose the name - cool huh?!)
Well I was more than happy to help out as I've always had a thing for torts. I got him on Tuesday of this past week, and hes loveing the 10' x 10' outside enclosure and hide (that looks like a little wood cabin)I built him. He has an area of cypress mulch, an area of grass, hibiscus bushes etc and a large shallow water dish. Spoiled much?!

The owner I got him from only had him for two years, but told me hes around sixty (60) years old, I'm assuming the previous owners told him that, I dont know any other info than that... I kinda hope hes wrong about that as I've read Redfoots only live to about fifty (50) or so. If thats the case I wont have him for long... :(

Can any of you clarify how long they live - thanks. I've read, unless you know when they hatched, theres no real way to tell their age by just looking at them once there adults, if anyone knows diffrent, please share, thanks.

He's aprox 15" long (he wasnt co-operating when I was trying to measure him...:p VERY sociable, active, eats well, loooves it when I put the sprinkler on and seems happy and healthy (he has watery eyes, which Im trying to fix with more humidity in his enclosure)
Well thats us, :D :tort: I tried posting some pics but Im useing a Ipad, and I cant figure it out.... thanks for spending your time reading about us!
Goodbye :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Rachel:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Status
Not open for further replies.