Hello! New Sulcata mom

MrsBarefoot

Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, FL
Hello, my name is Jenny.
I am glad to be a part of this community. I have been reading quite a few forums past few days.
We recently welcomed a baby Sulcata tortoise
Our daughter named him/her
Rainbow Heart Princess

We purchased a ZooMed wood tortoise enclosure.

We want to be sure our little one has the best home and care he/she needs.
So any tips on our enclosure is always welcomed and much appreciated!!!

Rainbow is pretty active. How much do baby Sulcatas eat in a day? I give her food every morning.
After some reading through these forums I've read different things on what to feed her. I've had her since Friday and have been giving her kale, mustard greens, dandelion greens, flower food topper and recently bought some Crafted Cuisine stuff.
She grazes it. The Crafted Cuisine is on her ignore list it seems.
Since having her, she's passed 4 stools.
I read grass/hay is best for them, but I am having difficulty in finding some near me. I live in Tampa FL.

Anyone have any experience with tortoise house by zoomed?
What's best way to keep humidity in it?

Thank you in advance!!!IMG_20190806_185949469_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Any pet store by you sells Timothy hay, and you'll find it in the hamster/gerbil/rabbit aisle.

As for that particular Tortoise House enclosure, it's made of wood. You should get a large plastic bin instead if you can. I keep humidity up in my enclosures by keeping the substrate damp. If you do that with wood, it will get moldy and warp. You also need a lid to help keep the habitat enclosed to hold in the heat and humidity.

Hope those tips are helpful. Other members here will have more.

Cute baby! Congratulations!

MrsBarefoot

Tampa, FL
Any pet store by you sells Timothy hay, and you'll find it in the hamster/gerbil/rabbit aisle.

As for that particular Tortoise House enclosure, it's made of wood. You should get a large plastic bin instead if you can. I keep humidity up in my enclosures by keeping the substrate damp. If you do that with wood, it will get moldy and warp. You also need a lid to help keep the habitat enclosed to hold in the heat and humidity.

Hope those tips are helpful. Other members here will have more.

Cute baby! Congratulations!
Thank you so much for your helpful response!
I did read somewhere that Timothy Hay is good choice, but there are some pieces that are rough for baby Sulcatas?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings,

Welcome to the Forum. First things first, ready and study the care sheet for Sullys. This will provide you with almost everything you need to know regarding their lighting, humidity, food, housing, etc.

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

As far as a hay source, young sulcatas pretty much won’t eat dry hay. Check out the food section, provide a wide variety of foods from the list.

Aldo, check out the recommended substrate to use.

Good luck

Ogh - this link too, https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Last edited:

MrsBarefoot

Tampa, FL
Greetings,

Welcome to the Forum. First things first, ready and study the care sheet for Sullys. This will provide you with almost everything you need to know regarding their lighting, humidity, food, housing, etc.

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

As far as a hay source, young sulcatas pretty much won’t eat dry hay. Check out the food section, provide a wide variety of foods from the list.

Aldo, check out the recommended substrate to use.

Good luck

Ogh - this link too, https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
Thank you! I remember reading about the food one a couple of days ago. I will reread it along with the other info. Much appreciated