Hello! New Russian Tort Momma :)

lindsay.arnes

Location (City and/or State)
Davison, Michigan
Hey everyone! I am super excited I found this forum. I just acquired a Russian Tortoise due to a family not wanting to take care of him. I've had box turtles before but never a tortoise so I'm pretty new to the fam. Toby is in a tiny tank and he needs more room to roam. I do bring him outside but do not yet have an enclosure out there, just keep my eye on him while he's on the move. I'm in search for some ideas for an indoor enclosure that's more tall than wide (if possible).. I do not have much space to work with currently at my house. Anyone have some suggestions?? Also if you have any helpful tips for my Russian, please send them my way!

Thank you :)
-Lindsay

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Here is the latest care sheet on Russian Tortoises. Please read it and follow the guidelines listed if you are not already doing so:

All tortoise need a very large amount of space. They need it to feel safe, to explore, to exercise, and to be able to take advantage of the different temperatures a large enclosure can create in order to give the tortoise the necessary options to go when they need to thermoregulate. An minimum of 8ft x 4ft indoor enclosure is generally recommended for an adult Russian tortoise. The bigger, the better.

While other members have had some success with multi-level enclosures. In my experience, I have never been a fan of small, tall enclosures with multiple levels. Reason being:
1. Tortoises have a wide turning radius meaning a cramped multi directional stairway is going to be a chore for them to navigate.
2. Bridges and stairways would have to be much wider than they are to prevent them from falling and flipping themselves over.
3. In reality, the tortoise loses more overall space than it gains due to how much space the stairway and lighting equipment would take up in multiple levels enclosures.
4, The lighting fixtures would also require more strategic planning.
5, You'll likely need additional heating sources otherwise the tortoise may never even use the other level if only there's only one basking spot source.

I don't think a multiple level indoor enclosure can work unless the tortoise owner is willing to make something nearly double the size of a standard 8ft x 4ft enclosure. I believe there is an example of such a thing in the forum. I gigantic sized multi-level enclosure but I don't know if I'll be able to find the link to it.

Make sure your tortoise has close proximity access to shade, a hide, and water when outside.

Last edited:

Ubercat

Sheffield
Hey everyone! I am super excited I found this forum. I just acquired a Russian Tortoise due to a family not wanting to take care of him. I've had box turtles before but never a tortoise so I'm pretty new to the fam. Toby is in a tiny tank and he needs more room to roam. I do bring him outside but do not yet have an enclosure out there, just keep my eye on him while he's on the move. I'm in search for some ideas for an indoor enclosure that's more tall than wide (if possible).. I do not have much space to work with currently at my house. Anyone have some suggestions?? Also if you have any helpful tips for my Russian, please send them my way!

Thank you :)
-Lindsay

I can’t help with the multiple-layer thing (although you might be able to convert a chest of drawers?) but I was in a similar situation to you a couple of weeks ago - rescued a Horsefield in a tiny box and had to make a decent home quick - so I bought an old wardrobe on Facebook for £10! Seems to be working fine for now :)

KronksMom

Illinois
Try searching "multilevel enclosure" "split level enclosure" "double decker" different things like that. Take what Minority said into account, but people have made all kinds of things work, you can too if you're willing to get creative. And welcome to the forum!