Hello, New potential tortoise owner here. Need feedback.

SandhillsTorts

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
Hello all. I have had a lot of time during quarantine and whatnot to do a lot of research on tortoises and I think these are not only some animals I would love to learn more about but keep for myself. I have a few general questions and if some of you could steer me in the right direction I'd appreciate your feedback. First of all I currently have no tortoises. So I was looking at what species is probably the best for me to start with. I live in central North Carolina. To be more specific along the Sandhills region. So you know a generally good soil, decently high temps in the summer, high humidity(avg 75% year round), and in the winter it can dip in the teens a little here and there. Personally I love the redfoots/yellowfoots. I think the size is personally what I can handle comfortably at any stage in their life. And I think I could still do well with them in this climate. If anyone knows something different about how well they do in this area let me know. Like I said I've done a lot of research. I understand winter housing is going to be necessary for this species and pretty much any species I get. But in general I'm not one to half *** things. If I'm going to do it I want to do it right. And give these animals a good comfortable life. No matter what species I get I think I'd prefer to start with a juvenile aged animal, then assuming I can do well with them within the next year try some hatchlings. I thought it would be rather easy to build a tortoise table that in the summer I could leave outside then in the winter months maybe roll it back inside(put wheels under it). This is only at the start, obviously down the road I would need to setup a proper stationary outdoor enclosure(and indoor enclosure for the colder days and nights). Start with 2-3 tortoises so that they always have that social interaction. A 1.1 pair would be nice so that longterm if I was interested in breeding and hatching out eggs they could be the start of that process for me. But I suppose it's not a huge deal the sexs of them. I've read a lot about UVB and sunlight. Along with the importance of proper nourishment and humidity to avoid pyramiding. Any tips there you think might be relevant to me is always appreciated though.

Short term goals are just to successfully keep a few tortoises happy and healthy while watching them grow. Long term I'd love to get a few more species of tropical tortoises. Not a big fan of the Testudo species. More prefer the star tortoises, South American species, and Madagascan species. But right now I'm not looking to bite off more than I can chew as a first time tortoise owner. So I'd prefer to stick to something hardy but colorful, social, and that can live outdoors most of the year here. It's tough because exotic reptiles aren't exactly big in my area. So there isn't a lot of information on what works and what doesn't here. My main fear is I live in a dreaded middle ground or grey area of what type of tortoises are good to keep where I live. Too hot and humid for some species and too cold for most others.

Hopefully you experts can give me some ideas and suggestions about how to move forward with my plans, and potential tortoise ownership. I know that generally it's best to buy from a breeder. I've been looking at many of those so that's definitely the route I'd like to go. One thing I've heard mentioned but not talked about a lot of is taking a tortoise too far away from where it was hatched? For example I may struggle to have a good performing tortoise if I buy from a breeder in a more arid climate like Arizona or Nevada. Because the humidity is much higher in North Carolina. So I'm assuming the best place for me to look would be breeders from Florida?(not many breeders in the mid atlantic) But I'm also not entirely sure if that even applies to younger torts like hatchlings since they haven't had a lot of time to really get accliminated to any climate given their age. I've heard moving a tortoise to a different climates like that may only be bad for adult tortoises. I don't know, I need some info on that as well. Plus I suppose in general all tortoises of a species should be kept at a similar humidity and temp no matter what your regional climate is.

Regardless thanks in advance to all who reply and help me out. I've been browsing this forum for a few weeks now soaking up information. Glad to finally get my first post and hopefully tortoise journey underway.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello, and welcome!

I agree that redfoot would do well in your area. They also fit in with your plans for eventually having a group. Redfoot are one of the few species that tend to get along with each other. Pairs don't work. Groups of at least 3 are the way to go.

Do you have a big backyard with lots of shade? Redfoot live under the tree canopy so are shade lovers.

Please be sure to buy from a reputable breeder! It can make the difference between successful, healthy, happy torts, or a total disaster. Here is the link to our vendor review thread. And ZEROPILOT or @Toddrickfl1 will be able to help you also.

TortoiseWarrior

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Hello all. I have had a lot of time during quarantine and whatnot to do a lot of research on tortoises and I think these are not only some animals I would love to learn more about but keep for myself. I have a few general questions and if some of you could steer me in the right direction I'd appreciate your feedback. First of all I currently have no tortoises. So I was looking at what species is probably the best for me to start with. I live in central North Carolina. To be more specific along the Sandhills region. So you know a generally good soil, decently high temps in the summer, high humidity(avg 75% year round), and in the winter it can dip in the teens a little here and there. Personally I love the redfoots/yellowfoots. I think the size is personally what I can handle comfortably at any stage in their life. And I think I could still do well with them in this climate. If anyone knows something different about how well they do in this area let me know. Like I said I've done a lot of research. I understand winter housing is going to be necessary for this species and pretty much any species I get. But in general I'm not one to half *** things. If I'm going to do it I want to do it right. And give these animals a good comfortable life. No matter what species I get I think I'd prefer to start with a juvenile aged animal, then assuming I can do well with them within the next year try some hatchlings. I thought it would be rather easy to build a tortoise table that in the summer I could leave outside then in the winter months maybe roll it back inside(put wheels under it). This is only at the start, obviously down the road I would need to setup a proper stationary outdoor enclosure(and indoor enclosure for the colder days and nights). Start with 2-3 tortoises so that they always have that social interaction. A 1.1 pair would be nice so that longterm if I was interested in breeding and hatching out eggs they could be the start of that process for me. But I suppose it's not a huge deal the sexs of them. I've read a lot about UVB and sunlight. Along with the importance of proper nourishment and humidity to avoid pyramiding. Any tips there you think might be relevant to me is always appreciated though.

Short term goals are just to successfully keep a few tortoises happy and healthy while watching them grow. Long term I'd love to get a few more species of tropical tortoises. Not a big fan of the Testudo species. More prefer the star tortoises, South American species, and Madagascan species. But right now I'm not looking to bite off more than I can chew as a first time tortoise owner. So I'd prefer to stick to something hardy but colorful, social, and that can live outdoors most of the year here. It's tough because exotic reptiles aren't exactly big in my area. So there isn't a lot of information on what works and what doesn't here. My main fear is I live in a dreaded middle ground or grey area of what type of tortoises are good to keep where I live. Too hot and humid for some species and too cold for most others.

Hopefully you experts can give me some ideas and suggestions about how to move forward with my plans, and potential tortoise ownership. I know that generally it's best to buy from a breeder. I've been looking at many of those so that's definitely the route I'd like to go. One thing I've heard mentioned but not talked about a lot of is taking a tortoise too far away from where it was hatched? For example I may struggle to have a good performing tortoise if I buy from a breeder in a more arid climate like Arizona or Nevada. Because the humidity is much higher in North Carolina. So I'm assuming the best place for me to look would be breeders from Florida?(not many breeders in the mid atlantic) But I'm also not entirely sure if that even applies to younger torts like hatchlings since they haven't had a lot of time to really get accliminated to any climate given their age. I've heard moving a tortoise to a different climates like that may only be bad for adult tortoises. I don't know, I need some info on that as well. Plus I suppose in general all tortoises of a species should be kept at a similar humidity and temp no matter what your regional climate is.

Regardless thanks in advance to all who reply and help me out. I've been browsing this forum for a few weeks now soaking up information. Glad to finally get my first post and hopefully tortoise journey underway.
HI...Keep browsing and keep soaking up info....Welcome :D

SandhillsTorts

North Carolina
Hello, and welcome!

I agree that redfoot would do well in your area. They also fit in with your plans for eventually having a group. Redfoot are one of the few species that tend to get along with each other. Pairs don't work. Groups of at least 3 are the way to go.

Do you have a big backyard with lots of shade? Redfoot live under the tree canopy so are shade lovers.

Please be sure to buy from a reputable breeder! It can make the difference between successful, healthy, happy torts, or a total disaster. Here is the link to our vendor review thread. And ZEROPILOT or @Toddrickfl1 will be able to help you also.

Yea I have researched that they like a lot of cover and shade compared to like a sulcata. I do live on a larger piece of property. Trees and foliage all around. I would like to give them an enclosure that uses a lot of the tree cover but also some direct sunlight area as well for them to self regulate their temperatures.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

I think you could do a Redfoot where you live. I live in North GA and I have a couple. You would just need to figure something out for the wintertime. An outdoor enclosure is pretty easy to build too. A juvenile would be a better choice for a beginner. I wouldn't worry about where you get the tortoise from location wise, but make sure you get it from a reliable breeder. They do tend to sulk when their environment changes though but they get over it. I would recommend getting one at first. Keep one for awhile and learn what its like and then decide if you want more. They shouldn't really live in pairs, groups are better and preferably 2+ females to each male. I wouldn't jump into a group right away as a beginner though.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
I live in the SC sandhills - in general I can attest that we are not too humid for any of the species you would be interested in. Many tropical tortoises experience a monsoonal climate - hot wet summers and cooler dry winters. This is pretty easy to mimic here with an indoor enclosure in winter and outdoors in summer. Problems with high humidity are massively overstated and it’s really only a problem if they are kept too cold.

If you start with a tortoise that is about 5” or larger you can get away with an open tortoise table in winter. They do not work well at all for hatchlings (which do much better in a closed chamber with high humidity). Keep in mind with an open enclosure, depending on species, you cannot efficiently heat the whole enclosure without keeping the whole room uncomfortably warm. If this is a concern, you might consider a closed chamber (even for a larger tortoise) for fully tropical species.

You should either get one tortoise, or 3-4 that are all the same size. Pairs almost never work out well.