hello- new here

Status
Not open for further replies.

litahi98

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
Hi. I am new to this forum and to tortoise keeping and I had a question regarding my old Russian. I got a russian tortoise hatchling from a breeder in September. Unfortunetly he died earlier this month:(
About a month before he past, his plastron became kind of soft in the center, but other than that he was active and eating and everything else seemed fine. I tried to give him more calcium and vitamins, as supplements in his food and as vita-sol (a vitamin supplement for birds) in the water during his soaks. Nothing seemed to help. I also now know that hatchlings aren't good for beginner tortoise owners because they are so fragile, but wasn't aware of that at the time. I guess I was wondering what happened and what would have caused it, so I can improve my care for next time I get a tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi there, litahi98:

What would you like us to call you? and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

Lots of people don't realize that calcium doesn't work unless it is accompanied by Vitamin d3. Your tortoise gets vitamin d from the sun, or from an expensive UVB light bulb. But the sun is best. So without the sun or the expensive UVB light, the calcium you fed the baby was just flushed out in the waste.

litahi98

5 Year Member
Northern California
thanks for the advice. You can call me Lindsay and I live in California. I had a 100 watt powersun uv by zoo med in his enclosure that gave him heat, uva, and uvb. I'm not sure though if this is a good bulb or not?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome, always nice to see another CA member.
As for your russian sorry to hear it died,once a tortoise's shell starts going soft it is very hard to fix. For first time tortoise keepers I always recommend an adult, there are usually a lot on craigslist, and of course a local CTTC chapter should have some up for adoption soon (warmer weather coming).

Status
Not open for further replies.