Hello, my baby Mee's and I

XDX

Hello,

I have had several types of reptiles and amphibians as pets for most of my life, and currently have enough critters in my house to own a small pet store or breeding business (long story). Just prior to the arrival of most of these critters (I had a few here already), I felt inspired to get into tortoises, and bought two 2015 Burmese brown tortoises, Manouria emys emys. I was told they were incubated at different temperatures and that they should be male and female, but I guess at this age (~1yr) it's hard to tell for sure. Regardless, they're here with me for a long one, and they're pretty awesome! As I said, there are now lots of other critters in the house as well, with which I have more experience and supplies, etc. I am completely new to the whole Chelonian way, so I'd like to make sure I give these two the proper attention to all their needs.

We are in western Oregon; I have these little guys indoors for now in a re-purposed counter section laid on its side (on a table), measuring ~6'*3'*1.5' (180*90*45cm). In the summertime, they will have a cool outdoor spot where they can hang out while I do garden work (I love being in the garden, got lots of plants!) In about a year, I will be moving a little further south, and will have a nice indoor/outdoor setup for them for the next several years. I'll post soon over in the Burmese black/brown section with pictures and more details!

Please forgive any mistakes I may have made already, and hopefully with the help from members here, I shouldn't make many more! I care a lot, and I try to do as much research as possible, though I am human. I am here for advice so that I can learn how to keep these torts as happy as possible, and to geek out with some folks about them all!

Thanks!

~XDX~

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

M

Maggie Cummings

There are several Burmese breeders on the forum. You'll get lots of info, just ask questions.
I'm in the Willamette Valley......welcome

XDX

Hi, thank you for all the welcomes!
Maggie3fan, do you have any Burmese? I'm in the valley as well, and it is outside the Corvallis area that I would like to create a more permanent indoor/outdoor space for these tortoises for next year+. Advice from others in this area would be especially relevant & useful.

Thanks again everyone!

~XDX~

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Greetings from the Junction City/Eugene area! I am a Redfoot enthusiast myself. My large tortoise (11lbs) got to go outside today, my little one (>1lb) has been stuck indoors since October. I'd love to hear how you set up your Mee's outdoors. I am going to be doing some major building this Spring!