Hello. Just found this guy in some drained pool in florida! What type of turtle he is adorable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reserchbeforecommitment

10 Year Member!
Thank you. Should I just let him go somewhere suitable? I am in south Florida so water ( not just flood water!) everywhere. He is very bright and alert he is just so tiny to face mother nature alone! I know it's natural, still incredible!
Any suggestions?

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
I would see if he'll eat first. Worms or crickets, something alive. When you release him, a pond with a lot of vegetation would be best. There are many predators for one like this. Fish, wading birds, racoons etc..

Reserchbeforecommitment

10 Year Member!
Thank you, he is currently in a large plastic tote, about 3 inches deep in rain water, with exposed rocks and logs and lots of fresh aquatic plants ( gotta love being able to collect a natural habitat right outside the door!) I gave him a tiny bit of greens, and 4 minute mosquito fish. There is only 1 left! Will find him a worm now. He is on the screened in porch and has one end of the enclosure in sunlight the other shady so the water doesn't boil! He is welcome to stay until the odds a little more in his/her favor, so long as I'm not doing him more harm than good. We named him Isaac after the hurricane that he came in on. ;-)

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
RE: Hello. Just found this guy in some drained pool in florida! What type of turtle

I would keep him until he gets big (if it's not illegal) just because he's cute. And you could be saving his life! You might have to release him but he is a cutie! Hope you can keep him for a few years! ;)

3appleshigh

5 Year Member
UK
As cute as he is (and thats very!) as soon as he starts eating properly I'd find somewhere suitable to release him, must be so stressful to be cooped up after being free, I think you've done a fantastic job in finding him and caring for him I should add!

Reserchbeforecommitment

10 Year Member!
RE: Hello. Just found this guy in some drained pool in florida! What type of turtle

This has been so much fun! Today I learned that if you grab a handful of the clean wet sandy soil along the edge of Florida ponds or canals and let it sift through your fingers, you will be left with a palmful of meal worms! Without this hurricane and finding this guy and doing a little amateur research I would never have really stopped and thought about the ecosystem that I presently live in!
I am gaining a new found respect and deep interest in the Everglades. Thank you Isaac, I will use this knowledge to find you a perfect forever pond. In the mean time - eat up! Unfortunately I also learned about all your potential predators your going to have to be a ninja to survive!

Status
Not open for further replies.