Hello, im john from alabama

Knap_123

Hello, I'm John and want to get our family a tortoise. We have Eastern box turtles ever where here. Actually my dog had 1 the other day playing with it. But I think I want something bigger. I keep saltwater aquariums, and have 2 dogs. So we like pets here. I research to no end once I get involved into something new.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome!
Yeah. So you already know it's difficult to keep tortoises if you also have a dog.
Apparently tortoises taste great.
What type of tortoise are you considering? We can provide you with enclosure ideas that would be dog, racoon, etc resistant.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Knap_123

Something suitable for Alabama climate. Not crazy expensive, hardy, and fairly large. But I'm open to any suggestions.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum! :tort:

What is the climate like back there?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, John and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Read through our species specific section to see which species would best suit your situation.

Knap_123

Thank you guys. Gillian, it's HOT! And very humid. Average around 96 + with heat index 100+.

Knap_123

Thank y'all, zeropilot my daughter and I was just reading up on those guys. The Russians are cool also but the redfoot is the size I like. Is it easier to keep a hibernating tortoise or non? I plan on building a outside enclosure . But I can set up something inside as well. My house stays pretty cold in the winter. We have gas heat, but don't run it 24/7.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Redfoot don't hibernate.
I have to carry mine inside on the 2 or 3 days per year that it's too cold. Otherwise, my pen has heated houses.
You can view my Redfoot pen on Youtube:
REDFOOT ENCLOSURE FLORIDA STYLE.
This was inexpensive and is fine about 362 days a year. It would even work better with CHE "lights" instead of the black 60 watts that I have for heat.