Hello! I have a redfoot tortoise, but she has some health issues.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I’ve read the care sheets(thank you for linking them, those were a big eye opener). I do have a question though, are there any good UVB lights you recommend? I can’t take her outside since I am in the Midwest and it’s currently winter.
I buy the T-5 fluorescent tube UVB lights. You can find them and the fixture for them at Reptilebasics.com

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well according to @Tom

He said that if you pick a tort from the wild and place in a glass enclosure they would react! Not so much for a breeding tort!
Also, if you pick a tort from the wild and place in a cardboard, wood, bamboo, fenced in enclosure it will react! I don't get what you're trying to say.

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Also, if you pick a tort from the wild and place in a cardboard, wood, bamboo, fenced in enclosure it will react! I don't get what you're trying to say.
???

According to Tom them reacting to glass due to stress is not necessarily true that’s what I am trying to say!

I would reach out to Tom about this!!

midwest USA
I am worried that if you decide to cover your current enclosure and boost humidity, you are going to have a mold problem since the enclosure is made of seemingly untreated wood. I would suggest covering the wood or staining it with some waterproof sealant, airing it out, then putting it back. Particularly the little house for the stain.

The breathing issue could also be due to the dry substrate. Once you moisten it up, enclose the space, and monitor temps you should be set. It doesnt look like your tortoise can dig much so I would also increase the amount of substrate.
Would paint prevent this issue?
I buy the T-5 fluorescent tube UVB lights. You can find them and the fixture for them at Reptilebasics.com
i see, i have tried to use the CHE to make ambient temp better and it was working, low 70s within a few hrs. But my tortoise started getting cold because he kept on going to the spot of the old hot spot, but since there was no cover there was just a microclimate, not much of an ambient temp. So i moved the CHE back as a hotspot and put a temporary cover as cardboard. I have two questions.

1. How do i prevent this, if with a cover, would cardboard work for a cover if big enough?
2.Would the CHE cover the whole enclosure(which is around 6ft long and 4ft wide) to an ambient temp of low 80s with a cover. Or would other measures also be nesscessary?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
My tortoise currently has a wood enclosure, I quit the glass ones because I couldn’t find any big enough for her. You can use glass enclosures if it works out well
Thanks for your permission. I have many turtles and tortoises, I use tort tables and some glass tanks.
I use 250 gallon tanks for small tortoises and turtles100_6373.JPG100_6373.JPG100_6376.JPG100_6372.JPG

Last edited:

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
???

According to Tom them reacting to glass due to stress is not necessarily true that’s what I am trying to say!

I would reach out to Tom about this!!
Oh crap! There are many very experienced keepers here beside Tom. Personally, I would reach out to Yvonne, Wellington, KarenSoCal, NorCalguy, Mark84, ZeroPilot, Maro2bear
I am worried that if you decide to cover your current enclosure and boost humidity, you are going to have a mold problem since the enclosure is made of seemingly untreated wood. I would suggest covering the wood or staining it with some waterproof sealant, airing it out, then putting it back. Particularly the little house for the stain.

The breathing issue could also be due to the dry substrate. Once you moisten it up, enclose the space, and monitor temps you should be set. It doesnt look like your tortoise can dig much so I would also increase the amount of substrate.
I have used plywood tort tables in my house for almost 20 years. Ordinary plywood, I staple a shower curtain liner in and have never experienced mold in any of my habitats

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
Would paint prevent this issue?

i see, i have tried to use the CHE to make ambient temp better and it was working, low 70s within a few hrs. But my tortoise started getting cold because he kept on going to the spot of the old hot spot, but since there was no cover there was just a microclimate, not much of an ambient temp. So i moved the CHE back as a hotspot and put a temporary cover as cardboard. I have two questions.

1. How do i prevent this, if with a cover, would cardboard work for a cover if big enough?
2.Would the CHE cover the whole enclosure(which is around 6ft long and 4ft wide) to an ambient temp of low 80s with a cover. Or would other measures also be nesscessary?

You need more CHE’s at least 2 for that size enclosure maybe 3. And as previously mentioned you’ll never keep the correct temp with the top open. My opinion cardboard will not work. It will get moldy and deteriorate when humidity goes up. It could also be a fire hazard with CHE near by.
try the grow tent as previously mentioned.
good luck

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I have used plywood tort tables in my house for almost 20 years. Ordinary plywood, I staple a shower curtain liner in and have never experienced mold in any of my habitats

I think the key here is that you used a shower curtain liner. In my previous plywood enclosure, I had the wood covered with pond liner, but still managed to get mold behind it. Point is, exposed wood and humidity don't do well together and I was suggesting a cover or coating

midwest USA
i have an Update for snappy
I got the needed vitamin supplements for her, and she'll eat food with it along with a calcium supplement. Ive installed a sort of temporary cover of cardboard so the temperature is somewhat enclosed, but i can't cover it all with cardboard sadly.
You need more CHE’s at least 2 for that size enclosure maybe 3. And as previously mentioned you’ll never keep the correct temp with the top open. My opinion cardboard will not work. It will get moldy and deteriorate when humidity goes up. It could also be a fire hazard with CHE near by.
good luck
I can arrange for that, would I still need a UVA bulb?

midwest USA
good luck
One question, would that be an overload for an outlet?

midwest USA
Here's an Update on snappy
The wheezing issue has been fixed, turns out there was smth stuck which I got out. I'm getting another CHE for ambient heat, and ill be getting a T5 soon, however, i cannot find the right idea for what the cover should be made of, because i think the CHES may start a fire, any suggestions?

Also, how do i make the enclosure humid without making the substrate too wet or muddy so that she doesn't get shell rot?

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
The wheezing issue has been fixed, turns out there was smth stuck which I got out. I'm getting another CHE for ambient heat, and ill be getting a T5 soon, however, i cannot find the right idea for what the cover should be made of, because i think the CHES may start a fire, any suggestions?

Also, how do i make the enclosure humid without making the substrate too wet or muddy so that she doesn't get shell rot?

Look into those portable grow tents that were previously recommended.(on Amazon) Members here have had great success with them. And it’s safe and easy to hang lights and heaters.
fir the substrate you need about 4-6 inches. Use a bucket or wheelbarrow, Mix in some water till it is damp(not muddy or soggy) then lay it out evenly in the enclosure and pack it down with your hands. You will keep it moist and humid by adding some water in the corners and maybe misting the top. Probably once week for this but each set up is different so you will need to monitor yours it until you get a feel for the new conditions.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA

It's good to hear that the wheezing is resolved.

The cover...do you mean a cover for the top to keep in humidity? As multiple members have said, a portable greenhouse is the best solution for you.

There is another way. You can build a framework that goes over the enclosure. This is the idea. You can also buy the lengths and connectors in PVC piping to build it. Just be sure to use piping that is sturdy enough to support the weight of all the lights, CHE's, etc.
IMG_1511635956.495114.jpg

Then you drape a shower curtain liner over the entire structure.

For comparison, here is a portable greenhouse. Both of these methods keep the plastic well away from the heat producing equipment.
20200524_162330.jpg

Here's a link to this cover. They come in different sizes, so double check that. Search 'portable greenhouse' on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LSFL2PY/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

shellcior

Magnolia, Tx
Great info guys! I know someone who just rescued two torts from very poor living conditions. This info will help greatly!