Hello! I got a tort :)

cindy1546

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Hello everyone, it’s been a while since I’ve commented on this forum but I just wanted to let everyone know that I appreciate all your advice and help in my steps to having my own tort. So about a little over a month ago I received the cutest Russian tort from tortoisesupply.com and after honestly I’m really happy with my little guy and happy in my choice to buy a tort. This is Thomas the Tortoise, he’s a sassy little guy and pretty humorous to watch him walk over the plants and attempt to go over rocks. He lives in an outdoor enclosure that’s 5x10 and spend his time sitting on the grass portion of his enclosure in the shade and in his little hutch. He doesn’t mind head pats while he eats but does dislike soaks. He surprisingly does not like hibiscus flowers but loves the leaves, dandelion greens, squash, and other greens.

99C31F4B-D874-4749-9BA1-31C7AF8D7195.jpeg83944172-B40E-426A-A9D7-838B1B62A1A4.jpeg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello! Your baby is certainly a cutie!

Thomas really shouldn't be living outside yet. He needs to be kept warm (over 80°F) at all times. And he needs humidity (over 80%) at all times, to prevent his shell from pyramiding.

The only way to achieve and maintain that heat and humidity is by having him live inside in a closed chamber, rather than an open topped one.

Here's a link to how to properly care for your baby. Please read it completely and come back with your questions.

We have help for you re' getting the equipment you need, like lights, heaters, thermostats, etc. We have links to places to order the supplies, and info on closed chambers.

Read, come back with questions, and we can get you going with an enclosure that will be beneficial to Thomas and easy for you to maintain.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello! Your baby is certainly a cutie!

Thomas really shouldn't be living outside yet. He needs to be kept warm (over 80°F) at all times. And he needs humidity (over 80%) at all times, to prevent his shell from pyramiding.

The only way to achieve and maintain that heat and humidity is by having him live inside in a closed chamber, rather than an open topped one.

Here's a link to how to properly care for your baby. Please read it completely and come back with your questions.

We have help for you re' getting the equipment you need, like lights, heaters, thermostats, etc. We have links to places to order the supplies, and info on closed chambers.

Read, come back with questions, and we can get you going with an enclosure that will be beneficial to Thomas and easy for you to maintain.

Karen, the OP got an adult Russian. The baby pic is from Aunt Caffy, not the OP. I had to re-read the thread more carefully to catch that detail myself.

@cindy1546 Congrats on the new tortoise! The link Karen left for you also has the correct care info for adults, and will explain outdoor housing as we move into our SoCal "winter". It took me years to sort this out since our winters are generally too warm and inconsistent for hibernation, and also too wet. There are several ways to do it successfully, and that is all outlined in the care sheet.

Questions are welcome. :)

cindy1546

Los Angeles
Karen, the OP got an adult Russian. The baby pic is from Aunt Caffy, not the OP. I had to re-read the thread more carefully to catch that detail myself.

@cindy1546 Congrats on the new tortoise! The link Karen left for you also has the correct care info for adults, and will explain outdoor housing as we move into our SoCal "winter". It took me years to sort this out since our winters are generally too warm and inconsistent for hibernation, and also too wet. There are several ways to do it successfully, and that is all outlined in the care sheet.

Questions are welcome. :)
Thank you! Also, I was a bit worried about what Karen said because I had been doing research to make sure it was okay outside for him but thank you for clarifying, I didn’t realize that Thomas’ picture wasn’t showing as the main one ?. And I appreciate the help and the link to thread :) I will certainly reach out with any questions I have!

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC
Congrats on ur new pal! He is certainly adorable. Please feel free to ask any questions or concerns that you may have. People are so helpful on this site, and they really are like a second family ! :)

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
thanks for buying an adult :) I feel like they are often neglected when you have the option for a baby...but there are PLENTY of years to spend with them regardless, and less stress when they're past the critical hatchling period.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Thank you! Also, I was a bit worried about what Karen said because I had been doing research to make sure it was okay outside for him but thank you for clarifying, I didn’t realize that Thomas’ picture wasn’t showing as the main one ?. And I appreciate the help and the link to thread :) I will certainly reach out with any questions I have!

I sincerely apologise for worrying you. I simply misread the post, thinking that Thomas is a baby.
I'm sorry for the wrong info.

Thomas is still a cutie, though! ?

cindy1546

Los Angeles
I sincerely apologise for worrying you. I simply misread the post, thinking that Thomas is a baby.
I'm sorry for the wrong info.

Thomas is still a cutie, though! ?
No worries! I would’ve made the same mistake :) I just wanted to make sure Thomas was okay and if anything, I would’ve tried my best to make the proper adjustments, thank you for your concerns.
And thank you so much !