Hello guys!

Alicates

Location (City and/or State)
Spain
Hello guys, my name is Sebas and I from Spain, so beforehand, sorry for my english.

I have five turtles: Trachemys , 2 Pseudemys, 1 Chinemys and 1 Graptemys . The oldest is the female Trachemys, she are 10 years old and this summer lay 7 eggs (infertiles). Pseudemys(s) are a couple, both 7 years old, male and female and maybe next year they will reproduce. The other two aren't enough big to know their genders.

Alicates is the name of my new tortoise, a russian baby (with 3 months). I have registered to learning about tortoises and give her the best care.

I promise to upload some photos...

thanks for reading me ;)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Sebas, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.:)
I am popping over to Spain for a break in a few days time, love it there.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum! You're just going to enjoy the heck out of your new little Russian tortoise. They're great little tortoises.

Alicates

Spain
I promised some photos... I didnt forget it

Installation and lights

ic8yh4.jpg
2rzez4k.jpg

The substrate is mulch with silica sand and the shelter is made of cork.

2pypzzq.jpg

Alicates

2iicw94.jpg

2la8x7o.jpg

r29d37.jpg

Nic B

UK
Hola Sebas,

He's a beauty. Great start to a enclosure but there are a few things you might consider changing.

The UVB light in a coil shape are considered to be damaging to tortoises' eyes. You can use a strip light, a conventional shaped UVB bulb or a mercury vapour bulb. Or a combination of these.

The infra red bulb isn't suitable for tortoises. At night you can use heat pads on the side or above, but not below the bed area. A tube heater for larger enclosures or a ceramic heat emitting bulb.

When you say mulch is it cypress mulch? If so it's very dangerous for tortoises. Information can be found on the forum .

And the paint on his shell is best removed. Apart from the possibility of it damaging him it becomes ingrained in the shell as he grows and you will never be able to get it out of the grain of the scute.

I'm sorry to be negative but I'm only trying to help.

There's lots of great knowledgeable people on this forum and they're really happy to help.

Buena suerte con tu tortugita :)

Alicates

Spain
Thanks you for your fast answer.

I prefer the UVB light instead of mercury vapour bulb. It is more expensive and it emits a lot of heat for this little terrarium. The best choice will be a strip light, maybe I will buy one.

The infra red bulb is ok for now. At night all the lights are off. Temperature does not drop much. Then the red ligh doesnt bother the tortoise to sleep.
However, I had thought to buy a ceramic bulb because of its resistance and the non-emission of light.

Mulch, I mean soil for plants without fertilizer.

I will clean the shell

Thanks you very much for help :) :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Those coil bulbs often don't produce enough UVB in the tight spectrum and, as said above, can damage eyes. The strip you mention would be a far better choice.
Red light can encourage some tortoises to eat their substrate, as they are attracted by red objects, so keep an eye on that.
Cypress mulch is fine, though fine grade orchid bark is often preferred for this species. Coco coir is another good choice.
If you use general 'mulch' ensure you know exactly what's in it, cedar and pine are both harmful and laburnham and other plants quite toxic, so you must know precisely from what it is made.
He will need more space. 8 foot by 4 is a minimum requirement for this species, not only for exercise, but the act of movement and walking is necessary for their digestion process.

Alicates

Spain
Thank you for your advice. The ceramic light bulb, it has to be special for animals or anyone worth?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I've never thought about it. I get my CHE's (but not cheese) from a pet shop, but I guess anything like this would be fine:
41LALgEAwlL._SX355_.jpg