Hello from wintery CO

Gen2007

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
My daughter Gen had a surprise on her Christmas list this year. Her list was short, sweet and to the point. New pj's a conservatory and a tortoise.
Grandpa tried to bribe her with a bike, my mother and I knew however, that her determination to care for a tortoise would not diminish any time soon. :cool:My mother and I got to work getting a temporary enclosure put together. We foolishly thought it would be months before our new addition was selected. The glass only just ordered for the conservatory. Normally my daughter who has Aspergers researches and plans everything to a T. ( Genevieve is extremely studious, articulate and thoughtful and handy with a hammer and laying chalk snap lines). I know she'd have rather built the habitats first then rescued her tortoise, but gen was born to rescue animals. And she couldn't say no.

Here's how we acquired Sophia if its a girl and T.B.A if its a boy. :tort:

While visiting my brother, we got a phone call, a tortoise was up for immediate rescue and we happily took the poor creature into our care before the owners could inflict more damage.

You see, Sophia/T.B.A the tortoise is covered in various colors of glow in the dark nail polish. Her previous owner and her friends thought it would be a great entertainment to decorate the shell and nails of her pet tortoise. The father permitted it. His wife the voice of reason was out of town,

i can only assume he realized the folly of his outlandish decision to be the "cool dad" after he saw the ramifications spilled all over the shell. So the father thought it best if he got rid of the evidence... Oh and did i happen to mention his gracious offer to remove the paint with nail polish remover for me?:confused: (Yes, I declined his offer).

I'm no expert. But i know not to go around exposing animals to toxic and deadly chemicals. (luckily for this new addition my daughter takes her job of researching and caring for animals very seriously. )

We do not know gender, age or species... Though my best guess is a russian tortoise. I know y'all will ask for a picture, but it just too horrendous. And I'd hate for anyone to see the horror, i mean graffiti, I mean carelessness from her previous owners and for anyone to think we had anything to do with it. :oops:I will take a before and after photo... And post them once the polish begins to crack and peel off.

We here in frosty Colorado,
hope everyone has a happy and joyful new year!

Nanna Robin, Stephanie and Gen.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
welcome to the forum:p!!!! you guys should feel very good for rescuing the tortoise from that horrible situation. if you have any questions about the forum and tortoise care just ask! every species of tortoise has a different care requirements, so knowing the species is very important. just keep the tort warm and don't let him/her get to cold. yes pictures are very helpful so we can identify the species.

Last edited:

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Welcome to the forum! I'm regionally from Colorado also.try organic lavender nail polish remover, that might work. You can find it on Amazon. it should be much less toxic than the nail polish itself, but do some research and see what you think. then when it's all cleaned off you can post some pictures and we can tell you what you have there :) there is another member on here who got a Tortoise that had been painted also. Some people just aren't too bright but luckily people are willing to take these tortoises and give them a good home.

Gen2007

Colorado
I will check out our local health food stores, (I've just got the card of a vet from my local reptile store. ) I'm waiting for our appointment on Saturday. This is the best it's looked after a couple of warm showers. Hopefully these early morning pictures do our new friend justice. This little Tort is just gorgeous!!! image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Gen2007

Colorado
Thank you for the warm welcome, this site has been a wonderful resource!!

I've posted some pictures up.... ,:eek: hopefully some after photos will follow suit.

Currently she is playing in her peat moss :tort: rather than in her to varying barks. she came with a bag of fir tree bark, it is half a bag ao we bought cypress bedding. We got her a variety of ground coverings to explore along with the log to hide under.
She's good and active this morning. :<3:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So, let me get this straight, because I have to have my OCD satisfied - Grandma is Robin, you are Stephanie and the wonderful child who wanted a tortoise is Gen?

Well, Welcome to the Forum, Stephanie!! It's great to have you join our little family. What a lucky tortoise you have there. And a great little girl child. You are just going to just enjoy the heck outta' that tortoise. Russian tortoises are wonderful first tortoises.

Gen2007

Colorado
Yes, we bought a UVB light thank to our new friends at scales and tales.. We purchased the wrong lights... And of course I'm sure the one provided doesn't do much, it looks like a black light.. Glows purple.. I've seem them sold for reptiles but I'm unsure what for. (other than the fact that they make the psychedelic glow in the dark art work look even more groovy lol. )

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! I am sorta a neighbor over here in Nebraska. :) If you take a picture of her rear end (the tail) we might be able to tell you for sure what the gender is. My oldest daughter is also a Genevieve. :) Welcome to the new year and a new exciting adventure in the crazy and wacky world of tortoises. :)

Gen2007

Colorado
Congratulations you were able to decipher my late night ramblings lol!

Indeed he's, I Stephanie am the mother, Gen is my lovely daughter and Nanna of course is my mother. I was just told by Genevieve that whom ever is doing the typing and idea sharing should type in another color. Lol

Hi guys thank you for the tips! (Gen)

Gen2007

Colorado
Yes, we bought a UVB light thank to our new friends at scales and tales.. We initially purchased the wrong lights... From a pet store. And of course I'm sure the one provided doesn't do much, it looks like a black light.. Glows purple.. I've seem them sold for reptiles but I'm unsure what for. (other than the fact that they make the psychedelic glow in the dark art work look even more groovy lol. )

Gen2007

Colorado
We are excited to post an update of the enclosure just as
soon as Gen gets more basking rocks and specific plants, as of now it just two tanks with varying substrates, lamps, a shallow terra cotta dish, and a log to hide under.