Hello from Tilly and me

LucyToons

Location (City and/or State)
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
Although I have adored tortoises for a while but only from a distance, I have ever had the chance to be able to have one as a family member, that is until a a few months ago when a friend mentioned she was looking for a new home for her 16/17 year old girl Tilly (she is only re-homing due to health problems and not being able to give Tilly the attention she needs all of the time).

So today Tilly has come to her new home with me, she has an existing setup and I have bee reading all I can about tortoises, I already have 1 cat, 2 hamsters and 3 bunnys so I always have plenty of greens in.

She currently has wood pellets in her viv but I did buy a bag of eco earth (i think it was) a couple of weeks ago which I am hoping to mix in eventually. She also has banana flavour komodo pellets to eat (although can't remember how much she normally gets), she'll be getting some greens daily.

I know that she needs to be soaked in water a couple of times a week (about half an inch deep?), I will be getting a cuttlefish this week as she has none left.

I am not sure if there is anything else I need to do for today, she has 2 bulbs in her viv and I will be doing a full clean this week (I did a spot clean after she got here).

20190421_173538.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Welcome. Yep, lots to read up on and improve. Swap out your substrate, try to build a larger enclosure, soaking in nice warm water a few times/week, etc. ‘til then, find the species page and read up.

Happy torting

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Lucy and welcome to you and Tilly.
I am in Wales and I have leopard tort called Lola. One of my nephews lives in Horncastle and is based at RAF Coningsby which you may know.
It is great you have joined the forum because it is full of up to date information and advice form very experienced keepers who only have the best interests of torts at heart.
Is Tilly a Russian or Hermanss?
I'm not very good at IDing torts but there are great caresheets for every species of tort which will tell you all about diet, temps, humidity, and substrate etc. You're right to replace the pellets, they aren't good substrates for torts as they are too dry. The Beginners Mistakes thread is also a good place to learn from other members experiences too and www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is also a good guide to torts safe foods.
As Mark said, Tilly does need a much bigger enclosure - 4 x 8 feet is the minimum for young adults of the smaller species, so she will be a bit cramped in there.
Do you have space to make her an outside enclosure too? Have a look at the enclosures thread for some great ideas.
Looking forward to hearing all about Tilly and seeing more pics.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

Your enclosure is way too small for your little Russian tortoise. They require lots of roaming room.

LucyToons

Hi Lucy and welcome to you and Tilly.
I am in Wales and I have leopard tort called Lola. One of my nephews lives in Horncastle and is based at RAF Coningsby which you may know.
It is great you have joined the forum because it is full of up to date information and advice form very experienced keepers who only have the best interests of torts at heart.
Is Tilly a Russian or Hermanss?
I'm not very good at IDing torts but there are great caresheets for every species of tort which will tell you all about diet, temps, humidity, and substrate etc. You're right to replace the pellets, they aren't good substrates for torts as they are too dry. The Beginners Mistakes thread is also a good place to learn from other members experiences too and www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is also a good guide to torts safe foods.
As Mark said, Tilly does need a much bigger enclosure - 4 x 8 feet is the minimum for young adults of the smaller species, so she will be a bit cramped in there.
Do you have space to make her an outside enclosure too? Have a look at the enclosures thread for some great ideas.
Looking forward to hearing all about Tilly and seeing more pics.

I do know Horncastle and Coningsby yes :), she is a Russian, she is due a full clean out so will be doing this tomorrow and putting the eco earth in for her, I have bought a underbed storage tub to put her in to soak in while I clean her viv and bought a few other bits for her today also

My dad will be making a bigger enclosure for her next month, I have a lovely back garden and my dad will be making a run for the bunnies as well as an outdoor enclosure for Tilly, will she be ok on just the grass? I'm guessing she will maybe some shade put also a concrete tile to be on? I will check out the enclosures thread also :)

LucyToons

Welcome. Yep, lots to read up on and improve. Swap out your substrate, try to build a larger enclosure, soaking in nice warm water a few times/week, etc. ‘til then, find the species page and read up.

Happy torting

Thank you for the welcome, my dad will be making a bigger enclosure for her next month as well as an outdoor enclosure, she is due a full clean of her viv tomorrow so have bought a underbed storage tub today for her to soak in :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I do know Horncastle and Coningsby yes :), she is a Russian, she is due a full clean out so will be doing this tomorrow and putting the eco earth in for her, I have bought a underbed storage tub to put her in to soak in while I clean her viv and bought a few other bits for her today also

My dad will be making a bigger enclosure for her next month, I have a lovely back garden and my dad will be making a run for the bunnies as well as an outdoor enclosure for Tilly, will she be ok on just the grass? I'm guessing she will maybe some shade put also a concrete tile to be on? I will check out the enclosures thread also :)
Yes she should be fine on grass maybe and something like a paving slab in for her to bask on in a sunny spot with some shade too. Perhaps some soil for her to dig in too (make sure it is chemical free).
Russians are great climbers so make sure it's covered to keep her in, and they also like to burrow under barriers so you may need something tort proof the ground around the boundary.