Hello from Thousand Oaks, CA!

Gotro17

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello and Happy New Year (God wiling ;)) Everyone!
My name is Shellee and we live in Thousand Oaks, California (Southern Cal, about 10 miles as the crow flies from Malibu and nearly equidistant from Santa Barbara to the north and Los Angeles to the south). I got my first leopard tortoise, Turbo, in 1993. He is alive and kicking and absolutely my first love. Over the years we have tried adding to our crew and have been met with everything from tragic luck to even theft for ransom (of Turbo!). We currently have one other male who is about 7 years old and his name is Peanut. Within the month we hope to add a little female for Peanut from another member here on the forum. My late father and I shared our love of reptiles and tortoises and now my 10 year old daughter is currently in the midst of 'researching' the species since she's declared she wants her own. If I could, I'd buy her a million babies on the spot but there is a lot she needs to learn first. She has read through @Tom s care guide and is making a list of practices to master and supplies she needs. @Markw84 is starting an enclosure for us and @Gijoux has some babies waiting to be 'ready'. Much has changed since I brought Turbo home from a reptile show so long ago, but we are looking forward to learning more from all the experience on here and hope to share some of our own. Cheers to great Tortoise times together!
Shellee

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum! Leopard tortoises are great

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
Hello and welcome! We’ve got a young leopard over here ( also a Hermann’s and RES) and love having her.

Gotro17

California
Hello and welcome! We’ve got a young leopard over here ( also a Hermann’s and RES) and love having her.
They really are a lot of fun. Turbo is super outgoing and loves snuggling with our one huge lab (120 pounder @ 2 years old!). It's pretty funny.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If I were going to get into regular leopard tortoises, my first call would be to Mark for an enclosure, and the second to Gijoux or for a baby.

You could not be in better hands.

Gotro17

California
If I were going to get into regular leopard tortoises, my first call would be to Mark for an enclosure, and the second to Gijoux or for a baby.

You could not be in better hands.
I haven’t ruled out SA and we will be hitting you up for night house plans. My dad built one for Turbo 20 years ago...double walled and insulated. I so wish he was still here help us make the outdoor yard we daydreamed about. He fortunately was still alive when we found this house. He and I walked around the property and laid out together exactly where we wanted to put the tortoises. He died unexpectedly about two weeks later... When my husband and I got home got home from the hospital, the realtor called to say we got the house. It was bittersweet for sure, but I can’t wait to have everything come to fruition...with a little help from my friends ?.

Gotro17

California
Turbo sunning beneath the blackberry vines...

Attachments

• C409B37D-31F6-4792-918B-E846E6F70CF8.jpeg
    C409B37D-31F6-4792-918B-E846E6F70CF8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18