Hello from southeast AL

AL_Wendell

Location (City and/or State)
Dothan, AL
Hi everyone, just joined hope to learn and in the future give a home to a few tortoises on my 2 acre property(hopefully they can help me keep this grass cut, lol). Starting to do research on what the ideal tortoise is for my my climate(hot &humid/rarely cold).

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. I can't think of a tortoise that wouldn't do great with hot n humid.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
I agree with Jodie, just about any tortoise would be great in your environment. If i had all the space, i'd get a tortoise that grows pretty big, like sulcata tortoises

MichiganFrog

5 Year Member
Northwest Florida
Hi, we're not far from you here in the Florida gulf coast. We have Sulcatas, but they're the third largest tortoise species, and definitely a handful. They require a lot of commitment to care for properly. Definitely do your homework here on the forum before you decide.

AL_Wendell

Dothan, AL
okay thanks, thought they liked dryer air. Im really considering Sulcata would like to adopt a few older ones. I need to get my yard fenced first though.

AL_Wendell

Dothan, AL
Hi, we're not far from you here in the Florida gulf coast. We have Sulcatas, but they're the third largest tortoise species, and definitely a handful. They require a lot of commitment to care for properly. Definitely do your homework here on the forum before you decide.

I plan on taking my time on researching, I work from home so I have the time to spend with them. Hopefully i can get Sulcatas from you when i'm ready.

MichiganFrog

5 Year Member
Northwest Florida
okay thanks, thought they liked dryer air. Im really considering Sulcata would like to adopt a few older ones. I need to get my yard fenced first though.

For Sulcatas, you'll need some really strong fencing. They can break thru most normal fencing or dig right under it. We have our Sulcatas penned in with concrete blocks stacked two to three levels high.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I plan on taking my time on researching, I work from home so I have the time to spend with them. Hopefully i can get Sulcatas from you when i'm ready.
He doesn't have salcatas for sale. He owns three and there's one on loan. :)

With two acres of land, I wouldn't get more than three sulcatas. Two is not ideal cause they are territorial and don't like sharing their space. If possible, you can adopt one male and two females. This way, the females wouldn't be abused by the male. When separating them, I wouldn't put the two females together cause, again, one will dominate the other and bully her. This would be extremely stressful for the one weaker tortoise. They need to all be separated individually. Best to you with your pick.

Last edited:

AL_Wendell

Dothan, AL
For Sulcatas, you'll need some really strong fencing. They can break thru most normal fencing or dig right under it. We have our Sulcatas penned in with concrete blocks stacked two to three levels high.

Yes i have watched quite a few videos paying close attention to the fencing, I live in the country so no real building codes but need to appease the neighbors to some degree, I will figure out something thats strong enough and looks good enough.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Al!

AL_Wendell

Dothan, AL
With two acres of land, I wouldn't get more than three sulcatas. Two is not ideal cause they are territorial and don't like sharing their space. If possible, you can adopt one male and two females. This way, the females wouldn't be abused by the male. When separating them, I wouldn't put the two females together cause, again, one will dominate the other and bully her. This would be extremely stressful for the one weaker tortoise. They need to all be separated individually. Best to you with your pick.

Thanks for the info.