Hello from South Florida (Miami)

Petercola

Location (City and/or State)
Miami, FL
Hi everyone!

Long time lurker, and I finally made an account recently. This website and community has helped my wife and I with our 3 tortoises - 2 Sulcata and 1 Redfoot.

One of our Sulcata was a rescue from someone who couldn't take care of them and was feeding him primarily fruits in a heavily shaded yard. He wasn't doing well, but he's wonderful now - his name is Hagrid. We estimate he is about 12 years old, and last weigh-in was around 60lbs but I he definitely feels heavier now.

Our other Sulcata is a little girl, Tanque. We got her as a hatchling and she is 5 years old now and has grown quite a bit in the past 2 years. She is about 1.5 feet long and ~15 lbs or so.

Our redfoot, Weasley, was an adoption and is doing very well in our Florida weather. He enjoys long strolls in the rain, fruits and mazuri pellets, and trying to climb the side of his shelter.

Unfortunately, circumstances changed beyond our control and we will be looking to rehome our two Sulcata, but we have a bit of time and really want to make sure they are in forever homes.

Weasley is staying with us and will probably be getting some buddies after the move. Hopefully we can be good contributors to this forum.

Peter

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hi everyone!

Long time lurker, and I finally made an account recently. This website and community has helped my wife and I with our 3 tortoises - 2 Sulcata and 1 Redfoot.

One of our Sulcata was a rescue from someone who couldn't take care of them and was feeding him primarily fruits in a heavily shaded yard. He wasn't doing well, but he's wonderful now - his name is Hagrid. We estimate he is about 12 years old, and last weigh-in was around 60lbs but I he definitely feels heavier now.

Our other Sulcata is a little girl, Tanque. We got her as a hatchling and she is 5 years old now and has grown quite a bit in the past 2 years. She is about 1.5 feet long and ~15 lbs or so.

Our redfoot, Weasley, was an adoption and is doing very well in our Florida weather. He enjoys long strolls in the rain, fruits and mazuri pellets, and trying to climb the side of his shelter.

Unfortunately, circumstances changed beyond our control and we will be looking to rehome our two Sulcata, but we have a bit of time and really want to make sure they are in forever homes.

Weasley is staying with us and will probably be getting some buddies after the move. Hopefully we can be good contributors to this forum.

Peter
Hello Peter, I will keep my eyes opened for you. Wish I could take them but 1 sully is more than enough for me.
Good luck finding a home for them.

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
Welcome to the forum! I am sure you will be able to find a great home for your two sullys here. Just be sure to ask lots of questions and ask for lots of pics to make sure the person you choose has the appropriate facilities for them. Best of luck to you! :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hi everyone!

Peter
As has been mentioned. Ask a lot of questions to anyone seeking to take in your tortoises.
Best of luck to you.
It should be relatively easy to find them homes.
Ideally they will each need several hundred square feet of outside yard each right now and a lot more room soon...With a very sturdy fence..And should not live together. So at a minimum ask to see where the prospective new keepers would keep a soon to be 100 pound and as strong as a Toyota animal.
The truth is that most people that think that they want a Sulcata, aren't realistic about what that's going to involve.
It is a great pet.
But a horrible, horrible impulse purchase.