Hello from South Africa

Slasher

Hi all.

My name is Christian I'm 37 from sunny Pretoria South Africa.
I have been keeping fish since I was 7 years old.Have had marine and tropical setups so I've been there done that,which has lead me to this forum.

Today while I was visiting a LFS I run into a 5" female Flying river turtle/pig nose turtle.I have never seen 1,never even heard of 1.Price tag was at 180$(roughly converted from our currency) wich made for a interesting decision to take her as this is not cheap for us.Also she was in a small 2ft fishtank.She was all over the place,she seemed seriously stressed and not well looked after.

I took her....not thinking of the consequences and needs.But I knew she will be better off with me that staying there.So I vowed to take proper care of her.

After reading several websites I concider myself confidant to give her the care she deserves.But not all precious info is always shared.Which brings me here.I need help from experienced turtle keepers to give me info so I can minimise the struggle of making mistakes.

I haven't got a fishtank setup for her yet but I will get her a 5ft tank for the time being.I fed her algae wafers so far but I've read they like wild fig,leaves, wild fig fruit,various vegetables,various aquarium plants and some proteins like shrimp,bloodworm ect.Please help me as I am a total noob when it comes to turtles.

So yeah.........hi there!!

20161126_144506.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Golly!
Hi, Christian, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and tour gorgeous new family member! :)
I'm afraid I know little about turtles and nothing at all about this species so i would suggest posting in our turtle section
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/water-turtles.101/
as not all the turtle keepers visit the intro thread.

Slasher

Tnx for the heads up I will do so.

Ps: Please excuse were she is housed at the moment,she is in a sump filter for my discus tank.Atleast the water there is prestine.I want to get a 5ft tank tomorrow.I'm excited to create a near to perfect setup for her with the help of you guys and gals,and it should make for a exciting project to share.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Tnx for the heads up I will do so.

Ps: Please excuse were she is housed at the moment,she is in a sump filter for my discus tank.Atleast the water there is prestine.I want to get a 5ft tank tomorrow.I'm excited to create a near to perfect setup for her with the help of you guys and gals,and it should make for a exciting project to share.
Fair play to you, sir.
Sorry i'm no help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. I'm not a turtle expert, but I don't think you have a Fly River Turtle. I think you have one of the soft shells there.

@Anthony P , would you lend your expertise here and confirm or deny?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hi Christian
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1480201913.296424.jpg
When you get your problem taking care of , and you happen to see some leopard torts in the wild . I really would like to see some pics .

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Good to have you here! ! !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, Tom's correct. That's not a pig nose turtle. It's a soft shell. Here's what a pig nose looks like:

animals-pignosedturtle-slide4-web.jpg

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Yes, this is certainly a Softshell turtle, of the Apalone genus. If you have been reading care sheets on Fly River Turtles, know that pretty much all the reasons a Fly River Would be a challenge to keep apply here as well. This is why I have personally chosen to never keep either Genus. The amount of swimming space and filtration, as well as their inability to play nice with others, make them an extremely difficult charge.

I would not recommend them as a pet, unless you are really looking for a challenge in life.