Hello from Sheldon in STL, MO!

rbcurdt

Location (City and/or State)
St. Louis, MO
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Hi there!

I'm introducing myself, Regan, and our new baby Russian tortoise, Sheldon. My kids are in love with him and me even more so. He's been with us for a week.

I'm including pics of him (and yes we know that we don't actually know the sex), and his enclosure. And I have a few questions. His enclosure has coir, with a zoomed power sun 100w bulb. Humidity is mostly 60%range by maintaining the coir, higher in the hides. His cooler temps are around 75, and dip to about 70 at night. His basking spot is where I'm a little off. I've read that about 12" from substrate is approx where the powersun should be. I have the lamp about 11", but obviously the bulb is up a few inches higher. With my pocket infrared thermometer, I'm getting 95 off his shell when he is basking, but the damp coir substrate is in the 80's. Is that okay? Should I lower it?
He is sleeping a lot, but seems to wake up and wander/sleep in the afternoon. I'm hoping with adjustment time that will change or is that pretty normal for a baby?
He's not eating a ton, but pooping pretty regularly. (Dandelion green, a bit of romaine, wheatgrass, and radicchio is what he hasn't snubbed his nose at.
It was suggested I add some moss to hides, and some plants for cover in another of my post, which I plan on doing.

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
Welcome to the forum Regan [emoji2] if you can try and raise the humidity he will proably eat more as he settles I also how big is he

rbcurdt

St. Louis, MO
Sounds good but still try and raise the humidity it is not for hydration as much as it is for shell growth
Okay. I've read 50-70% humidity range. What am I aiming for? Suggestions to help raise? Moss? Cover? Both?

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
Okay. I've read 50-70% humidity range. What am I aiming for? Suggestions to help raise? Moss? Cover? Both?
Where did you read that for little guys like that 80 is much better for a properly formed shell also a cover should be good you can just cover the enclosure with plexi glass or make a greenhouse style tent over it also plants help hold I moisture as well but make sure your light is good for plants or get a new one (they need uva)

rbcurdt

St. Louis, MO
I read it on the Russian tortoise care sheet written by Tom on this forum. It did say partially covered, but I thought since I was well within the range already...I was fine. My light is the powersun 100w.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Regan and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Sheldon.
It is normal for baby tortoises to do a lot of sleeping, but as long as your temps, humidity, diet and general set up are right he should become more active in time as you thought.
The diet should be much more varied..
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-diet-sheet.52677/
gives lots of options, but don't feed the grasses so for a Russian.
http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/nutrientanalysis.htm
is also very useful.