Hello from San Antonio,TX

fer9700

Hello my name is Erica and I'm a first time sulcata owner. I adopted him in June and we think he's about 4 or 5. He weighs 13.8lbs and is 12in long and 9in wide. He's still a little shy but he's slowly coming out of his shell. Lol
We have named him Shelldon.
We don't have a background for him. When we got him from the shelter. The lady who turned him in found him. She posted all kinds of signs and social media postings to find the owner but no response.
I never thought a sulcata tortoise would make me so happy! Lol
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1499618304.875338.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1499618318.660297.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1499618342.480666.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1499618358.607879.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You've done a nice job making him a comfortable place to live.

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Hello !
Always loved San Antonio - used to attend conferences there & always stated on the River Walk. But wow it can be dry there !

Ended up in South Florida where we have the heat but most of the year lots of rain & high humidity.

There are many members here raising Sulcatas in dry hot climates. Providing fresh water to soak in as well as some using more humid hide boxes & sprinklers during day is common.

If you put a shelf in his doghouse ( hide ) with a pan of water on it to evaporate the hide - especially if it has a flap on door - will stay more humid.

If you read @Tom care Stickeys in Sulcata section you can get both valuable care information as well as good justification for suggestions.

Good fortune with him :)