Hello From Oklahoma!

Rogue628

Location (City and/or State)
Lawton OK
Hey guys! My name is Stephanie, but most people call me by my old nickname, Rogue. I'm originally from Louisiana but moved to Oklahoma about 3 years ago. I have two children, whom are grown, although my son is still with me. I can't complain because he's a huge animal lover like myself and helps me with all my critters. :)

I have two passions that have carried me through life and one of those is my love for animals. Not the more common pets, but exotics and wildlife. Currently I have 10 snakes and a handful of fish. In the past I've nursed wild birds (captive birds don't seem to like me but wild ones love me) and I've even kept a couple of tarantulas (to get over my fear of spiders heehee). I've kept snakes for about 12 years now. My favorites are my giants....burmese pythons and reticulated pythons....although I've kept other species and still do.

The last year or so I've been interested in keeping tortoises. Since I'm a fan of giant snakes, my first interest were in the giant torts, but I know from experience that it's best to start off with a smaller species that's hardy and makes a good fit with the type of environment I can provide as well as maintain. Nothing upsets me more than to see someone new into reptiles get a giant or even an animal that has advanced care when they have no idea what they're walking into.

So I'm here to read, learn, and ask questions to find the right species of torts for me. I want this to be a good experience for myself as well as provide a good home for the aninmal. At my current residence I feel it would not be safe to keep one outside and it may be a long time before I can provide a safe haven for a mainly outdoor tort. I'm not a stranger to husbandry and maintainence so a may be able to keep something a little more advanced for a first tort.

If any of you guys want to throw out some species that may fit, feel free! There's actually nothing more I love to do than research on animals that have piqued my interest (or anything else for that matter). Pros and cons, advice and contructive criticism is always welcome. After all, you can't learn if you don't open your mind to what's being taught. ;)

Cheers!

Killerrookie

Hmm smaller species are really cute and fun. Ok you can get a Russian, Greek, Marginated, Hermanns are the best ones to get that are small and easy to care for. I had the same problem as you I love the bigger tortoises and well I ended up with 3 Sulcatas. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433317884.932238.jpg
Here's one of my babies.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433317952.116568.jpg
Here are some of my other tortoises.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433317984.865948.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433318007.290785.jpg

Killerrookie

Hmm smaller species are really cute and fun. Ok you can get a Russian, Greek, Marginated, Hermanns are the best ones to get that are small and easy to care for. I had the same problem as you I love the bigger tortoises and well I ended up with 3 Sulcatas. View attachment 132462
Here's one of my babies.
View attachment 132463
Here are some of my other tortoises.
View attachment 132464
View attachment 132465
If your looking for a more advance tortoise then I recommend a Star Tortoise. They are small and a little more harder to take care of, but if you get the set up right then your good to go!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Rogue, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and all your animals.
Have a look at the species specific section here and see what takes your fancy.
As has been said, Russians, Greeks and Hermann's make good starter torts, but pretty much any can be kept as long as your set up is correct before you start.
Read, learn, contribute, ask questions and have fun.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, Rogue, and welcome to the Forum!

Rogue628

Lawton OK
Thanks for a warm welcome! I've been looking through the ones that have been recommended and some others I found and I like the leopard tortoises the best so far. With the habitat I can give it indoors, it's temp needs, etc, at this point I feel it fits the best. Still looking and researching though!

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
Welcome, I love Oklahoma. We have land in antlers. A lot of three toed box turtles roam that area. A lot of copper heads too. Warm welcome