Hello from NC

Ajbuer0325

Hey y'all!!!! My name is Kelly and like the title says, we live in North Carolina. The Piedmont, actually, to be a bit more specific ;)
We have 2 eastern box turtles in our care at the moment.
We became turtle keepers quite by accident really. My 16 year old son brought home Mr. Turtle (still working on a name) first. He was doing landscaping for a family friend. Mr. Turtles home had been destroyed due to construction. My son tried, repeatedly to take him to a safer location, but he kept coming back. Not wanting the lil guy to get hurt, he brought him home to Momma.
The second turtle came to us about a month later. A friend of ours whitnessed a car swerving to hit her purposely! Other than the crack to her shell , she seemed to be ok. We cleaned "Mrs. Turtle" (yep, that is what we are currently calling her!) up the best we could and she seems to be healing quite nicely.
Like I said in the beginning, we did not plan on becoming turtle keepers. So, I have tons of questions about their care and possible release? We have grown quite attached to these lil guys and I would LOVE to keep them. But if it is better for them to go back to their natural environment, I am open to that. I really want what is best for the turtles :)
I am so glad I found this place!!!!!

Hey there Kelly,
I currently have a few eastern box turtles in my care and have had them now a couple years. They do best kept outdoors in a LARGE enclosure as they need lots of room to walk. My pen outside is 4ftx12ft and sunk into the ground about 7in. and about 16in tall above ground. They have a kiddie wading pool sunk into the ground for swimming and drinking with a board ramp held down at one end, for exiting. I have access to loads of pine needles so I have that inside the pen about 4-6 in. deep for them to burrow in. I also have flower pots on their sides sunk in the ground for shady spots. I serve food on terracotta plant tray behind a board in a corner of the pen to keep it in shade.

My guys eat super worms, romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, strawberries, and canned dog food (WITHOUT GRAVY) ONCE a Week only.

Box turtles burrow and hibernate in the winter once the ground temp falls below 68 and they reemerge the following spring...End of April into May depending on Temperatures. Plz feel free to message me if you have any other questions. [email protected]