Hello from NC

Thevangang

Hey y'all!!!! My name is Kelly and like the title says, we live in North Carolina. The Piedmont, actually, to be a bit more specific ;)
We have 2 eastern box turtles in our care at the moment.
We became turtle keepers quite by accident really. My 16 year old son brought home Mr. Turtle (still working on a name) first. He was doing landscaping for a family friend. Mr. Turtles home had been destroyed due to construction. My son tried, repeatedly to take him to a safer location, but he kept coming back. Not wanting the lil guy to get hurt, he brought him home to Momma.
The second turtle came to us about a month later. A friend of ours whitnessed a car swerving to hit her purposely! Other than the crack to her shell , she seemed to be ok. We cleaned "Mrs. Turtle" (yep, that is what we are currently calling her!) up the best we could and she seems to be healing quite nicely.
Like I said in the beginning, we did not plan on becoming turtle keepers. So, I have tons of questions about their care and possible release? We have grown quite attached to these lil guys and I would LOVE to keep them. But if it is better for them to go back to their natural environment, I am open to that. I really want what is best for the turtles :)
I am so glad I found this place!!!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. I'm usually all about returning them to the wild. However, not sure the Misses should be with her injury even after all healed and if Mr can't be returned from where he was found, then that's not a good idea either, as they will spend their life time trying to get back to where they came from and if his home area is gone, it would be a good place to get back too. I'm thinking it might be best to consider them a permanent resident. See what others think.

M

Maggie Cummings

We usually recommend that you leave them, or simply move them to a safer location. BUT, afraid :) I have to agree with Barb on this one. But I'm thinking there are laws in some Eastern states about keeping Eastern box turtles. So frankly, I'd either find out if what I said is true, or make sure nobody who lives around you knows.
Box turtles have great personalities. They LOVE water and swim and bask in my pond. They eat fruit and worms crickets and other yucky things. Go to the Box turtle section and read up on them. As an example yesterday mine ate plums, peaches and bananas. Probably nightcrawlers and mealworms today. Welcome

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Kelly, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Mr and Mrs Turtle.
Thanks for coming here and please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

Would you please post pics of the turtles? :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kelly, and welcome to the Forum!

It's not a good idea to return a turtle to the wild once it has lived in captivity for any length of time. This is the way disease is spread to the wild population. Not only that, the turtles are now used to having the food goddess take care of them and they wouldn't do well if released. Plus, as your son has already found out, they are territorial and they will keep trying to go back to where they think they belong, sometimes getting hit by cars and killed in the process.

So I'm afraid these turtles are yours now. Try to find out the laws regarding turtles in your state and be sure you keep them legally.

Last edited:

Thevangang

Hello and Welcome. I'm usually all about returning them to the wild. However, not sure the Misses should be with her injury even after all healed and if Mr can't be returned from where he was found, then that's not a good idea either, as they will spend their life time trying to get back to where they came from and if his home area is gone, it would be a good place to get back too. I'm thinking it might be best to consider them a permanent resident. See what others think.

Thank you! I certainly dont mind keeping Mr. And Mrs. :)
I don't want to keep them if it will do them more harm than good.

Thevangang

Hi Kelly, and welcome to the Forum!

It's not a good idea to return a turtle to the wild once it has lived in captivity for any length of time. This is the way disease is spread to the wild population. Not only that, the turtles are now used to having the food goddess take care of them and they wouldn't do well if released. Plus, as your son has already found out, they are territorial and they will keep trying to go back to where they think they belong, sometimes getting hit by cars and killed in the process.

So I'm afraid these turtles are yours now. Try to find out the laws regarding turtles in your state and be sure you keep them legally.
Ha haha! I loved the "food goddess" phrase you used!
Mrs. Turtle does just that....she walks to where I am and looks up until her slugs "fall from the heavens"20160812_094939.jpg