Hello from me to you!

Stumpy

Location (City and/or State)
Midlands, UK
Hi, My name is Sarah. I'm from Midlands UK.
I'm a busy mommy to 3 children (4 if you include my husband :)) a dog, a cat and an aquarium.
Next week we are welcoming a tortoise into our family, although circumstances surrounding his/ her move are not great. Hence joining this forum; as I'm looking for much needed advice on the best care I can provide in addition to love:<3:.
Ok so I say his/ her as currently I don't know, I can't say species yet either as Stumpy (tort name) hasn't had the best start in life. Around 3 years ago a hatching moved in with my mom, she took very good care and loved the little one very much. However she unexpectedly became very poorly and sadly passed away last year. At that time my sister took over and well, whenever I ask details she simply doesn't know. She says either Hermann or horsefield, she hasn't given enough time or adequate care. So although im a learner I asked to take over and hopefully provide above and beyond.
I started today by joining here (where a lovely welcome message gave me a smile and confidence to write this)
I've also brought a tortoise table which shall be delivered in a few days. (Hes at present in a fish tank with a light bulb on24/7. which I'm seriously angry about. This was not how he was kept at my mom's.) I'm hoping I wont upset Stumpy too much with reclimatising him in a new home.
I'm aware I have a challenge, just wish for a smooth transition. With the help of you all would be good.
Thank you!!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome to the forum! ! ! Good to have you here.

Best wishes to the new addition of your family! ! !

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Welcome! You're very kind to take the tortoise in :)

Would you happen to have a picture of Stumpy? I'm sure the more experienced members could identify the species for you. From there we would be able to give you the right care sheet!

Stumpy

Midlands, UK
Welcome! You're very kind to take the tortoise in :)

Would you happen to have a picture of Stumpy? I'm sure the more experienced members could identify the species for you. From there we would be able to give you the right care sheet!
I don't at the moment, will take one and upload as soon as I do. Want to follow the right care as sheet. So I don't do something wrong.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Welcome. this site gives admirable advice. I think any help you need is available here. It seems to be a great community of people who genuinely love tortoises. Good luck to your new baby.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place for great information. Very glad you're getting this guy.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Hi and welcome. What size is the table you are getting? Have you bought it yet? Most store bought tables are too small for any type of tortoise. If you can hold off until you upload a picture it may save you time and money. I don't suggest buying anything until you find out the type:)
Lights depend on size of enclosure
Do not buy petstore water bowls they are flip hazards, a terra cotta plant saucers that is a bit bigger than the tortoise is what is recommended.
Can your sister send you a picture that you can upload?

HotdogKnight

Southampton, UK
Welcome! Heather has it right, I'm also in the UK and bought my tort table months before I got my tort and I now know that it will only be adequate for a year or so, it's also more work to make sure the humidity/temps stay reasonable.

We can help you run down the basics though, substrate, food etc. as these are all fairly similar considering the usual torts we see in the UK.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
*waves* First off, sorry about your Mother. Second I am so glad you didn't forget about the little guy and are now becoming a major part in his future. Don't stress too much about his past, instead do as you are and move on withy his future. The past can't be changed and I would hate for it to cause issues that might create a wall between you and your sister.

I am looking forward to seeing him.

Stumpy

Midlands, UK
received_10153242312159574_kindlephoto-2050494.jpg
I don't at the moment, will take one and upload as soon as I do. Want to follow the right care as sheet. So I don't do something wrong.

Finally have a pic of Stumpy from my sister.
Now to read the messages I've missed :)

Stumpy

Midlands, UK
Hi and welcome. What size is the table you are getting? Have you bought it yet? Most store bought tables are too small for any type of tortoise. If you can hold off until you upload a picture it may save you time and money. I don't suggest buying anything until you find out the type:)
Lights depend on size of enclosure
Do not buy petstore water bowls they are flip hazards, a terra cotta plant saucers that is a bit bigger than the tortoise is what is recommended.
Can your sister send you a picture that you can upload?
This has got me worried now as I'd already purchased and it wasn't exactly cHeap either.
In fact i had to sacrifice a few other bits to be able to afford it.
Dimensions are 36" x 16" x 7"
I thought I was doing the best for Stumpy :(
I do intend to eventually house him outdoors. Just concerned of upsetting him with so much change. Also need to build and afford materials to do so.
Starting to feel in over my head.