Hello from Jolly Tort Girl

Jolly Tort Girl

Location (City and/or State)
Great Bend, KS
Good Afternoon.
I'm glad to be here and have enjoyed looking at all the pictures of everyone's beautiful torts (and chameleons). I've loved tortoises since I was a little girl, and kept box turtles and aquatics years ago. I live in South Central Kansas. I'm finally getting to have tortoises and am so excited. I've been doing lots of "homework" to make sure I'm getting everything set up correctly, and joining this forum is part of that process. It will be nice to post pics, etc., to people who share my interest instead of the usual response I get "You're adopting a what?" Hopefully next weekend I'll be able to go pick up my first Redfoot from his current family. His outside set up was nice, but they couldn't do much inside to expand his area for winter as he grew, so they wanted to rehome him for his own comfort. Then a couple of weeks later, my mom is bringing me a little Russian that was on Craig's List from a lady whose daughter is ready for a different pet. She's currently housed in a 10 gallon aquarium so the dogs won't get her from what I understand. I have a really good sized sunroom for moderate weather and summer nights, a good backyard for weekend and summer evening grazing with supervision (I don't trust our neighbors' dogs, and occasionally they do get out of the fence), and for winter we have a big storage room and laundry room that are heated and I can set up something with a good amount of space and heat lamps, UVB, etc. So hopefully they will be happy being part of our family. I'd like to get them each a companion of their species as well (everyone needs someone who speaks their language and a best friend - except my pixie frog who will eat other frogs and anything else that moves). In time I'd like to get leopards and perhaps rescue a couple of sulcatas. I admire the big aldabras, too. Who knows, maybe they will be part of the picture eventually.
I'm an engineer at a community college, mother of 4 -ages 13 - 24, and grandmother of the 2 sweetest little boys in the whole wide world. Thank you for letting me join the group and I look forward to getting to know everyone.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) Sounds like you did good on your home work with have the good space for them winter and summer. As for the friends part, well, most species do not need or want a friend. Russians are a big one that does not want or need a friend. Red foots do better then most in groups. Groups of three or more are always better then a pair and if they are old enough to sex, one male to two or more females is the better ratio.

Jolly Tort Girl

Great Bend, KS
Hello and Welcome:) Sounds like you did good on your home work with have the good space for them winter and summer. As for the friends part, well, most species do not need or want a friend. Russians are a big one that does not want or need a friend. Red foots do better then most in groups. Groups of three or more are always better then a pair and if they are old enough to sex, one male to two or more females is the better ratio.
Thank you for sharing that, Barb. It's good to know. I won't worry about getting friends for them, then. I'll just spoil them for now. I'd really love to get a leopard as well. How are they with groups/pairs?
I had watched a couple of videos that showed a Redfoot male that was very persistent and aggressive with a female who didn't have a proper place to hide away from him or any other females to direct his "love dance" towards, and the poor little girl was all nipped and cut from him biting and messing with her. The lady had made the video to demonstrate a point about not keeping them one male to one female ratio like you were speaking of. So if I get more, I'll keep them separated until I have the better ratio for their happiness. I'm happy with adopting/rescue. I don't feel compelled to breed at this point, so the numbers aren't pressing. I just want my torty babies to happy and healthy and safe.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
So when do we get to see your torts and their enclosures ?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1400282808.479280.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Salutations, be careful russians are addictive (among other species).

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
We're did you here that torts are addictive cause I only have a couple : 2different types of box turtles , 5 different types of water turtles, 5 ADT , 9 Russian , 5greeks , 20 leopards , 7 Herrmans , 2pancakes , 3 Egypt. , 2 Marginated

Jolly Tort Girl

Great Bend, KS
So when do we get to see your torts and their enclosures ?View attachment 80357

Mine will be here within the next couple weeks hopefully. Both are from other states, so we're trying to coordinate schedules. I will definitely post pictures when they arrive. Tomorrow I'm going to buy some seed to start for their garden, and get the lamps and bulbs. I have all kinds of ideas of how I want to set things up for their hides and I'm making them a spa area with a water filter that will be kind of like a waterfall and increase the humidity for them. I'm planning on using peat moss for substrate and putting earthworms in it to help with the waste. I want to plant grass seed if I can get some without fertilizer added and dandelions throughout. The garden for them is going to be done in containers so I can rotate things for variety. I already grow some aloe and I'll get more for them. I'm getting mustard seed, turnip seed for the greens, collard seed, a dark leaf lettuce variety, kale, marigolds, California poppies, lavender , hen and chicks, nasturtiums, English daisies, rose moss, and I have untreated roses already. Being in Kansas I should be able to get prairie hay which isn't sprayed, and hopefully I can find some hibiscus reasonably. I'm ordering a pack or two of some of the seed varieties for torts from Carolina Pet Supply later this week. For bigger plants, I'll use individual pots, and for smaller ones I plan to use those hangers with pockets for shoes that goon the back of doors. Those can be cut into sections and hung over garden gates and fences, or the side of the tort enclosures for living walls.

Jolly Tort Girl

Great Bend, KS
Salutations, be careful russians are addictive (among other species).
I kind of thought they might be. I haven't found many people in my research with just one. :). I have a feeling I may end up being in the "more than one" group. As drawn to the Leopards as I am, I'm hoping for more than one definitely.

Jolly Tort Girl

Great Bend, KS
We're did you here that torts are addictive cause I only have a couple : 2different types of box turtles , 5 different types of water turtles, 5 ADT , 9 Russian , 5greeks , 20 leopards , 7 Herrmans , 2pancakes , 3 Egypt. , 2 Marginated

That is fantastic!!! That has to be so much fun having them all around. Wow! What is your favorite type, and what do you like most about the different types you have?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
They deliver over $100.00 every 2 weeks to my house ( of veggys )