Hello from Indiana

wcarm

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
Just joined today after watching way too much Elementary and deciding on a tortoise as an office pet, thanks Clyde. I work from home and wanted to get something I can have in my home office as a distraction and well as long term pet. I’ve never owned a reptile other than a snake about 15yrs ago which did well. Any help as in guides or a setup checklist would be welcomed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises do much better when they are set up outside. They are, after all, wild animals, not domesticated pets. However, having said that, it is possible to set them up indoors, but you must meet their needs, which include a very large enclosure, a good UVB light and the proper living conditions. Research which species of tortoise you want, then read all you can about what will make that tortoise 'happy'

wcarm

Indiana
Tortoises do much better when they are set up outside. They are, after all, wild animals, not domesticated pets. However, having said that, it is possible to set them up indoors, but you must meet their needs, which include a very large enclosure, a good UVB light and the proper living conditions. Research which species of tortoise you want, then read all you can about what will make that tortoise 'happy'

I have a fenced in backyard to supplement his/her time in. My plan was for some outdoor time along with some indoor when the weather is bad like winter time. Looks like it’s time to research the species and go from there.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Smart research first- size and enviroment requirements vary greatly. Pop back for any questions!