Hello from Houston, TX

Chubbs the tegu

Location (City and/or State)
Ma
There is no way an mvb bulb is gonna harm your tort unless u have it 5 inches away from it

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Gotta disagree w you.. i dont see how a mvb is gonna cause pyramiding if its kept hydrated and moist

Look at any of the examples on the forum. When a light, be it a spot light or an MVB, is to harsh on a tortoise’s shell, it usually does not matter what the humidity is. They dry out their shell and the area surrounding, and can cause tortoises to pyramid in moist conditions. I believe @wellington has experienced this with Leopards.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Look at any of the examples on the forum. When a light, be it a spot light or an MVB, is to harsh on a tortoise’s shell, it usually does not matter what the humidity is. They dry out their shell and the area surrounding, and can cause tortoises to pyramid in moist conditions. I believe @wellington has experienced this with Leopards.
I see ppl using che .. thats not drying ?

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Im not trying to be rude.. im just saying its opinion and not fact that either are better

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Btw i use a tube rn in my enclosure so thats not the reason im saying mvbs are ok

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I see ppl using che .. thats not drying ?

CHE’s are largely less desiccating than MVBs. Please do some research on the forum. There are a plethora of examples of MVBs being too harsh on baby tortoise shells, and why. This is not something I’m making up on a whim because I feel that way, but because I’ve seen the evidence and examples here, and I would rather the OP not make the same mistakes. I hope you’ll do the same :)

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I think ill be ok.. i have 28 years experience in raising many reptiles. And ive also seen on here 2 tortoises being raised in the same conditions and diff results

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I just find it hard to believe that a mvb is gonna cause pyramiding if used correctly

MTMorin

Houston, TX
I am currently using CHE as I like it better than a basking bulb. Too much light. But for the UVB rays, I use a coil one.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I think ill be ok.. i have 28 years experience in raising many reptiles. And ive also seen on here 2 tortoises being raised in the same conditions and diff results

And I’ve seen hundreds or tortoises grow and thrive under the recommendations of this forum. I do hope you’ll choose to learn from this forum instead of dismissing advice and evidence because of your ”28 years of experience”.

To the OP- please be sure that if you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask. There will be differing opinions, but always look around to see which one has more evidence backing it up, or which method seems to have the best results. This forum has been an amazing resource to me, and I’m sure it will be for you too. I hope you and your little torts enjoy their stay :)

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I agree with 99% of the info on this forum but for this one subject i disagree sorry

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
U show me evidence mvbs are bad

There are so many examples here, and you could easily find some.
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Spot-Bulb-vs-Flood-Bulb-vs-CHE.174019/
Read post #13.
@Tom has also had a large amount of experience with MVBs. In addition to being desiccating, they tend to be short lived and it is impossible to tell when they have stopped producing UVB without a solar meter.

Really not sure why you are being so combative about this. Just do a search for mercury vapor bulbs.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I am sure the original poster does not appreciate the tangent this has gone off to on their post. It would be best to start a new thread on this subject if you would like to continue, or change the subject all together.