Hello from Houston, TX

Chubbs the tegu

Location (City and/or State)
Ma
Not combative just stating my opinion . And ive done plenty of research on mvbs and always good results had by others as well as myself. So if having an opinion is considered being combative on here im sorry

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Not combative just stating my opinion . And ive done plenty of research on mvbs and always good results had by others as well as myself. So if having an opinion is considered being combative on here im sorry

Just remember that we’re talking about tortoises. MBVs are amazing for other animals, but for one with a hard shell that dries out quickly, they’re not a good choice.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Look at any of the examples on the forum. When a light, be it a spot light or an MVB, is to harsh on a tortoise’s shell, it usually does not matter what the humidity is. They dry out their shell and the area surrounding, and can cause tortoises to pyramid in moist conditions. I believe @wellington has experienced this with Leopards.
Absolutely it can cause pyramiding. My leopards I hatched were house in high humidity. Almost swampy conditions and I used mercury vapor bulbs. They still pyramided.
If I were going to ever raise any again, which I'm not. I would use fluorescents for uvb and kane heat pads or radiant heat panels only for heat and an incandescent bulb if added day light and day heat is needed.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Because nobody here could ever b blamed for pyramiding right? Must b the bulbs because yall are perfect

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am going to suggest if you want to argue about MVBs causing pyramiding start another thread in the debate section, thank you.

MTMorin

Houston, TX
3B310160-0750-4547-B1C9-D527D643A629.jpeg

That’s their basking spot... I made a humidity tray and put it under the pebbles. If I add water into the humidity tray, the humidity level will be like that.

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
Welcome! I am new to the foruum as well, and hoping to be a sulcata owner soon. Best of luck with your two new babies!