Hello from Florida—Introducing Bob, our adopted red foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tay100

Location (City and/or State)
FL
Several years ago Bob arrived at my back door, lost and homeless. He had apparently been wandering around for a good while before finding us. His shell had been damaged in a few places but was already healing well. Looked like something tried to eat him. At first he was in a nice big enclosure outside b the backdoor. He was there a little more than a year also spending the cooler times in his indoor enclosure. We watched him while in his enclosures and when not sleeping he was pacing the perimeter of the enclosure, apparently not satisfied. I should mention that we have a pack of dogs, rescues that are very peaceful toward other animals. In particular is the chihuahu, Cricket, who befriended Bob. Ultimately, after realizing he wanted to be with us and the dogs I allowed him out of his outside enclosure to interact with us. When it was time to go inside the dogs climbed the steps that lead to the door. Bob followed but obviously couldn’t climb the steps though he tried. Ultimately I brought him inside to live full time. He obviously was a pet that was given much attention. He has a strong attraction for the dogs and follows me around the house just like one of the dogs. He is very happy having his own box to retire to when it is bedtime (it is wooden with a hole in one side). He eats the best foods I can buy, vitamins and calcium, and gets a 30 minute shower each day. I have a large tub-sink in the mud room where he eats (then relieves himself). He has a water dish though the prefers drinking with the dogs. I realize many people do not agree with allowing a tortoise to roam freely in the house but this is a last resort. As I said he is attracted to the dogs and it is quite apparent he enjoys it. It is a common site to find him along side one napping. Or, he sits by the chair I’m sitting in. In fact he actually likes sitting in my lap! When I take him outside he never wanders on his own, he either follows and stays with his dog pals or follows me. Inside he wants to be involved with whatever I’m doing, sweeping or running the vacuum. Lately he has started something that has me puzzled. It began with my little toe. I wear flip-flops inside and Bob bit my toe though not hard enough to break the skin It did hurt. Also he nibbles at my ankles. He also nips the dogs pads but just a little bite. I thought he might be telling me he was hungry but it seems to be more like a game. When in that nibbling mood even if I push him away he comes back for more.

well, maybe I’m not keeping him as prescribed I do think he is healthy and happy. I think that’s the best I can do, better than turning I’m out where I found him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Seriously? You are not doing good by that tortoise at all. In fact just about everything is so very wrong.
Please read the caresheet and if you can't do better, find him a home with someone that will give him what he needs not what the human needs.
Also please search for threads about tortoises and dogs never being together. Your pack of dogs will eventually badly hurt him or kill him if roaming your home doesnt do it first.
There are requirements they need and dogs and the floors of your home isn't it.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I know it's hard to think like a tortoise, but most of the behavior you've mentioned sounds like aggression.
Following, sleeping next to, biting, being next to and being together are bullying.
It's all difficult for us mammals to wrap our minds around. They are both solitary animals and territorial.
And unfortunately, your RF is in danger from your dogs. Not because they are vicious. Just because they are dogs. And they will eventually chew on your tortoise.
Where are you in Florida?
If you are in south Florida, I'd be more than happy to assist you in building a good and inexpensive outdoor enclosure for your friend.
I hope that this doesn't seem overly critical. Most of us had to learn a lot the hard way when we first got into tortoise keeping

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome! Please listen to the voices of experience shown above.

Tay100

FL
Wow, so many experts. In reply to all who are all knowing, well intentioned. I am not inexperienced with tortoises as you think. After fifty years of experience I will trust my understanding of these animals. As I mentioned this IS a unique case, I have never owned a tortoise in those years that I would bring indoors as with this one. Someone suggested that everything I am doing is all wrong. yet had no alternative suggestions. And to the person who offered that I am treating him from the human point of view attributing humanness to his actions, no I am not. You do not need to think like a tortoise to understand their needs. That is akin to suggesting you need to think like a frying pan to understand how to cook. And as for the person saying everything I mentioned about him are sign of aggression, that is not the case at all—I understand aggression. Overall, I did not post for a critique of my methods based on a handful of sentences I put down in a first posting. None of the “experts” are familiar with me, my education, knowledge/experience relative to this animal or the types of tortoises I keep/have kept for years. Neither has anyone had an opportunity to observe this animal to the extent that I have. I am quite aware these are animals without the capacity to have human feelings, needs or desires. Yet that does not negate the fact that on the individual level all differ in intelligence, temperament or habits. I offer to everyone who keeps any animal you should observe your pets as closely as I have have this one. They haven’t the brain structure that we have meaning we understand humanness as expressed by our advanced brains. But, it is only a guess as to how we expect any animal act relative to their lower brain power. As a trained scientist I have the skill for observation and conclusions. These aren’t ants and do have capacity to express individualistic behaviors. I can give many examples of animals behaving in ways that contradict expected. Finally to the person who offered to come by and help me with a proper enclosure, thanks but I really do have that covered.

Finally, thanks to all for the warm welcome. I appreciate the many questions (none).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I stand by what I said and what ZEROPILOT said.
If you really have fifty years experience then you should understand how much can change in those fifty years! Much more education and changes have been made!
Did offer suggestions as you did not sound like a person that wanted fo learn, as proven in your latest post. ZEROPILOT gave suggestions and you just tried to prove you were right and he wasn't.
Open your mind to learn the better ways that have been proven and read the caresheets and dog attack threads
Good luck to the tortoise and be sure to let us know when the dog tortoise together goes bad! Don't forget it's the tortoise that suffers not you!

Tay100

FL
I stand by what I said and what ZEROPILOT said.
If you really have fifty years experience then you should understand how much can change in those fifty years! Much more education and changes have been made!
Did offer suggestions as you did not sound like a person that wanted fo learn, as proven in your latest post. ZEROPILOT gave suggestions and you just tried to prove you were right and he wasn't.
Open your mind to learn the better ways that have been proven and read the caresheets and dog attack threads
Good luck to the tortoise and be sure to let us know when the dog tortoise together goes bad! Don't forget it's the tortoise that suffers not you!
As I said you and your forum expert know nothing about my education, professional experiences/knowledge or much else. Stick by your comments if you wish, that is choice. I likely have forgotten more than you know about animal husbandry. Yes, I really have fifty years experience in answer to your accusation that it is a lie, “of you have fifty years...”. I don‘t think you know what you are talking about saying that much more education and changes have been made. If you do not know, in the professional world there are requirements for ongoing training in addition to personally chosen degrees of higher learning. Also, to keeping abreast of current topics we read! Need to learn? I meet your type from time to time having appreciable knowledge but who believes he is all knowing. I bet I never occurred to you that I could teach you something. Yet you have the nerve to tell me that I do not sound like the type that wants to learn and to be open minded. Just so you know I did not join this forum to have you teach me what I already know, I have resources for what I don’t. My education was not learned from forum posts or care sheets. Though they are useful. Thanks for your arrogant reply. I joined and posted against my better judgement. I have experienced your type before, the keeper of knowledge.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Not to poke the bear but please search dog got to tortoise. The tort always loses since it is the right consistency for a dog chew toy. As for indoors please search tortoise swallowed and right now you will see a thread where a member had a tort eat a cigarette butt that was thrown in her yard. I came to this forum with zero tort experience and thanks to members I have a Russian that is healthy and grump and a handsome leopard that treats me like the help!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
In the years I've been on this forum. I've never written anything meant to be harmful or offensive. Yet some of it has offended. A lot more of it has helped.
And I've never bothered to leave a word of advice that wasn't because I thought a tortoise was in danger. To help the tortoise.
I am now placing you on IGNORE, so that you may argue with yourself.
I'm pretty sure you're familiar with doing just that.

Tay100

FL
Not to poke the bear but please search dog got to tortoise. The tort always loses since it is the right consistency for a dog chew toy. As for indoors please search tortoise swallowed and right now you will see a thread where a member had a tort eat a cigarette butt that was thrown in her yard. I came to this forum with zero tort experience and thanks to members I have a Russian that is healthy and grump and a handsome leopard that treats me like the help!
So, don’t poke...please. Even before your suggestion I had read the many post of devastation, examples supporting the mantra that all dogs do not mix with any tortoises. But even before joining this forum I was aware of the dangers to both. Yes, I would not suggest mixing unless you are a professional with sufficient knowledge of the dogs and tortoises involved. If I were not so very sick of discussing this topic with this forum I would provide details that support my choice in allowing the tortoise access to the dogs. I am glad you have gained useful knowledge since joining. Unlike you I came with ample experience supported by formal education not necessarily looking for guidance but on that note, not really ignoring chances to learn. I like others do not like being told by strangers that I do not know what I am doing based on a few sentences I posted. Especially by strangers who haven’t any information about me and my capabilities, the environment, the dogs or the tortoise. Not mixing dogs with tortoises is the rule but as nothing is 100% in nature the are exceptions. I would never mix this tortoise with any other dogs than these. Anyway, I will stop ranting and I appreciate your suggestions. Oh, and since I do not smoke and there likely are no butts in my yard I have no worries about eating one. But thanks for the caution.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Well, I think the subject of tortoises living any sort of variation of the standard or "alternative lifestyle" would
be controversial here. There are many people with good intentions & advice. Opinions differ like:
Some people don't handle their tort, some do.
Some people like to keep their habitat "natural" & some go with more vibrant colors.
Sheldon gets handled frequently & he has colorful items in his environment add to his visual stimulation.

When free roaming tort and pack of dogs is incorporated in the same story it sounds unusual & problematic
for the tort.

Please post some pics. It would be interesting to see how this situation works for you.... ?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
So, don’t poke...please. Even before your suggestion I had read the many post of devastation, examples supporting the mantra that all dogs do not mix with any tortoises. But even before joining this forum I was aware of the dangers to both. Yes, I would not suggest mixing unless you are a professional with sufficient knowledge of the dogs and tortoises involved. If I were not so very sick of discussing this topic with this forum I would provide details that support my choice in allowing the tortoise access to the dogs. I am glad you have gained useful knowledge since joining. Unlike you I came with ample experience supported by formal education not necessarily looking for guidance but on that note, not really ignoring chances to learn. I like others do not like being told by strangers that I do not know what I am doing based on a few sentences I posted. Especially by strangers who haven’t any information about me and my capabilities, the environment, the dogs or the tortoise. Not mixing dogs with tortoises is the rule but as nothing is 100% in nature the are exceptions. I would never mix this tortoise with any other dogs than these. Anyway, I will stop ranting and I appreciate your suggestions. Oh, and since I do not smoke and there likely are no butts in my yard I have no worries about eating one. But thanks for the caution.
My path her was way lit more fun than yours cause really what man’s mid life crisis is to get two tortoises! My Russian loves to hump his flower pot and stare at me he is really bent. Now if you have the anomaly well then good luck! This is the post millennial age so photos and videos are required or it is assumed to be ? ?

Tay100

FL
Well, I think the subject of tortoises living any sort of variation of the standard or "alternative lifestyle" would
be controversial here. There are many people with good intentions & advice. Opinions differ like:
Some people don't handle their tort, some do.
Some people like to keep their habitat "natural" & some go with more vibrant colors.
Sheldon gets handled frequently & he has colorful items in his environment add to his visual stimulation.

When free roaming tort and pack of dogs is incorporated in the same story it sounds unusual & problematic
for the tort.

Please post some pics. It would be interesting to see how this situation works for you.... ?
Why would pictures please your curiosity more than the descriptive post?

Tay100

FL
In the years I've been on this forum. I've never written anything meant to be harmful or offensive. Yet some of it has offended. A lot more of it has helped.
And I've never bothered to leave a word of advice that wasn't because I thought a tortoise was in danger. To help the tortoise.
I am now placing you on IGNORE, so that you may argue with yourself.
I'm pretty sure you're familiar with doing just that.
Too bad you are being closed minded. Remember one who ignores is ignorant.

Tay100

FL
I actually did not understand your message. Except telling me pictures are required as proof. Learn to type...

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
What pics? Are you asking for proof? When He’ll freezes over.
So if your not here to seek advice, or share pics of your tortoise or tortoise enclosure, Then what exactly is it your seeking here?

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
Hey there,

You're an anonymous entity here, so nobody knows if you're telling the truth or not. The original request for pics was not antagonistic, it's in the interest of tortoises.

We love pictures of torts. I associate most of the people here with the tortoises that they own. But also you're talking about behavior that a lot of us are interested in seeing.

These type of online forums automatically scrub the personal data from pictures (if that's what you're worried about). If you want to take your own steps to remove the data (called exif) from your pictures, I can PM you on how to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.