hello from cyprus- Tort ID please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirsten

5 Year Member
Hi,

My name is Kay, i came across this forum as i am trying to find out the species of my tortoise.

I bought this little one today, and all the Cypriot man could tell me, in broken English, was that this little one is captive bred from his own female, a year old and a Mediterranean Tortoise, so i have researched as best as i can with this information.

20130331_211104.jpg
20130331_211115.jpg
20130331_211127.jpg

as i live in the med, this little baba will be living outdoors eating the local weeds, hopefully that's the best situation i can give him/her.

thanks for taking the time to read, and TIA for any help with identification.

Kay

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Kay. Someone with more knowledge about the Mediterranean species of tortoise will be along shortly to answer your question. Good job on the photos. I think you've given us all we need to make the I.D. for you.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
You tortoise is a Greek tortoise for certain, the subspecies may be a Turkish Ibera (Testudo (gracea) ibera) or Antakyan Greek (Testudo gracea antakyensis). To some the Antakyan subspecies is not valid and those tortoises are grouped under one of the various Middle Eastern subspecies. To others they (the Turkish races) are Ibera, most of which are found much farther north. I personally would consider it to be a Turkish Ibera.
Because the Greek tortoises cover such a vast geographical range throughout the Middle East, North Africa and Northern Mediterranean there are several subspecies and even several variations within subspecies. Only a small handful of them are easily identifiable without knowing their exact origin (in this case the parents origin). I realize that you don't have that option, but seeing photos of the tortoises parents is very valuable for identification purposes. The Greek tortoises, as well as many other species, look very different when young compared to when they become adults. Along with their size, their overall shape, coloration and patterns change. Many of the Greek subspecies look very much alike when they're young.

kirsten

5 Year Member
thank you very much for the warm welcome, and for the ID, i can now research more thoroughly accurate care and requirements.

cheers

Kay

kirsten

5 Year Member
thank you all for the warm welcomes. unfortunately the little one seemed to be suffering with an RI and was very lethargic, so I contacted the seller and was offered a different baby tort.

George the 2nd, is in MUCH better condition, although appearing much smaller, only 2g lighter "He" has already had a soak, a drink, a wee and a poo. had a wonder round the sofa and been everything I've read to expect from a baby tort.

Status
Not open for further replies.