Hello from Colorado!

Ciera Stewart

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
I just got a baby Russian Tortoise and I joined here because most of everything that I have looked up about my tortoise and his care came from this website haha. It's awesome to know that there are so many other tortoise lovers out there and you're all here to help eachother and all of our little ones! Just wanted to say hi :) this is my 4 month old Russian, his name is Woodhouse!

N

no one

Hello and Welcome to you and Woodhouse!!
What a cute face.
You' re right about this forum. And you will keep on learning. *smile* The people are great too. Maybe we take after our Tortoises, haha!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

Jimb

5 Year Member
Colorado Springs, Co.
Hi and Welcome! Woodhouse looks great and I like the unusual name! I'm also in Colorado (The Springs specifically) so it's great to see another join the 'family'. :tort:

Ciera Stewart

Colorado
Hello and welcome to TFO from Kent, UK.

I recommend you read the TFO care guides if you haven't already

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Baby Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Thank you for those links, that is all extremely helpful!!

Ciera Stewart

Colorado
Hi and Welcome! Woodhouse looks great and I like the unusual name! I'm also in Colorado (The Springs specifically) so it's great to see another join the 'family'. :tort:

My little guys is 4 months old, and since winter is coming should I be keeping his heat on at night? The house is never less than 68° but it is also an old house and the floors get cold. What would you suggest?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
My little guys is 4 months old, and since winter is coming should I be keeping his heat on at night? The house is never less than 68° but it is also an old house and the floors get cold. What would you suggest?
Only you know whether it gets too cold. Russians prefer it cooler at night, so if your enclosure is protected from draughts then he should be OK

Your tort needs complete darkness at night so if you need supplementary heat you must get a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) and use it with a thermostat. It can be plugged in and switched on 24/7 as the thermostat makes sure that it only cuts in when it's needed.