Hello from Chesterfield - UK

AmzBond

5 Year Member
Hey all,

I hope you are all staying safe.

I’m looking into getting my step son a tortoise, ideally a hatchling. I had a tortoise previously but sadly had to re-home during my divorce.
I’m rusty now, so any advice would be more than welcome.
ideally best place to purchase table, accessories & the new little addition to our home.

many thanks in advance.
Amy

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hey all,

I hope you are all staying safe.

I’m looking into getting my step son a tortoise, ideally a hatchling. I had a tortoise previously but sadly had to re-home during my divorce.
I’m rusty now, so any advice would be more than welcome.
ideally best place to purchase table, accessories & the new little addition to our home.

many thanks in advance.
Amy
Hello and best wishes from Devon

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello!
There are 2 good places to buy lights, heaters, substrate, thermometer/hygrometers, thermostats, and most anything else in the UK.
The first one is Amazon www.amazon.co.uk

The 2nd is Swell Reptiles www.reptiles.swelluk.com

I'm in the USA, so there may be more places as well.

As for the table, we recommend a closed chamber type enclosure until the hatchling has a year or two to grow. In a table, with the open top, it is impossible to maintain the heat and humidity that a baby needs. If too cold, they get sick. If too dry, their shells grow bumpy, called pyramiding.

Read this post, and you'll see different possibilities for a closed chamber. The one Mark makes isn't available because of shipping, but there is a place in the UK that builds enclosures. Here is their link...

Here is the post with different chamber methods...

For the baby, you want to find a breeder who starts them properly. Someone will come by and hopefully have names for you.

I am assuming that you want a species that stays fairly small, like a horsefield or Hermann's? Regardless of species, a hatchling should live in a closed chamber.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,

There are great up to date caresheets here and this is the one for the most common species available in the UK

It will be a good starting point for you but ask as many questions as you like.

If you buy your tort from a pet shop bear in mind that they are profit driven and will happily sell unsuitable and unsafe equipment and rarely know about tort care. They and some breeders often give old advice so if you are already familiar with the caresheet you'll save some money.

A few quick don'ts are.
  • don't buy mvb, curly or cfl type bulbs they can damage shells and eyes.
  • don't buy steep sided water dishes they can be a drowning hazard - cheap terracotta plants saucers are fine
  • don't buy dial type thermometers or hygrometers - digital units with probes are more accurate at tort level
  • don't use pellets or straw/hay as substrate - too dry and go moldy
  • don't get more than one unless you have enough space for 2 sets of enclosures lamps etc - they are territorial and don't like company and competition.
Good luck with your search.

AmzBond

5 Year Member
Hey, yes I am looking for Hermann’s Ideally. I’d love breeders to reach out to me. I’ve already researched on the table and know exactly what I’m going for. Found a local handyman, who makes to order. Please do keep sending in the advice. It’s all so helpful :)

ZenHerper

New Jersey
For a hatchling, you will want your table to be completely enclosed, per the information in the care sheet Lyn linked you. High humidity and stable temperatures are vitally important during the rapid-development years.