Hello from Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roshi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Evora,Portugal
Hi all
I am from Canada. I don't have a tortoise yet.
I am still gathering information before i purchase one.
I would like to know what is a good species to have in my harsh climate.
I mean in the summer months, it barely hits 30C/86F but mostly 25c/77F. I would like to keep it outside in the summer months.
maybe one of those magnifying devices would work, to bring the temp up to 90F in a spot. or would i have to get a lamp outside too

I don't want a hibernating turtle because i've had bad experiences before, there is just a big chance of them not waking up.
I have seen some great enclosures here. That i can do.
i have questions on the bedding. how often it's changed and how deep and how much is used.
The prices look to be the same as say the pine or cypress they sell for hamsters. or not? maybe mix some?

I would like to get a yellow foot tortoise or maybe a radiant tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Roshi:

608532urmbj6742u.gif

to the forum!!

I'm hoping that a fellow Canadian will answer your post, but in the meantime, I just wanted to say its good that you are doing your research before jumping in feet first!

I'll give you my 2 cents, even though I live in sunny Calif.

In MY OPINION, a redfoot might be a good tortoise for you. My reasoning is because they seem to do very well when kept indoors, as yours will have to be a major part of the year.

If you set your outdoor pen up on the sheltered side of the house, where the wind can't lower the temp, you should be ok. But if you arent' able to keep the temp in the 80's for the tortoise, maybe you can set up a strong heat lamp or CHE (ceramic heat emitter). Putting heat attracting artifacts around in the habitat might help too. Large stones that the sun will warm up, etc. Maybe you can even build a frame that you can attach some sheet plastic to...sort of a mini greenhouse.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Don't use a magnifying glass, heat lamp is a must. Would you be able to warm up your outdoor space and keep it humid for a yellow or redfoot? Some considerations.

Also yellowfoots get bigger, what level of space are you going to be able to provide in the fall through spring? Of course you'll probably have a young tort to start, but you have to think long term.

micki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
uk
hi and welcome to the forum.

Roshi

5 Year Member
Evora,Portugal
yes i guess i can provide a spot away from wind and possibly a a hut like a greenhouse, that will get warm for sure. In the winter it would be inside. When it grows up it can have a bigger spot in the basement.

what are some of the smaller species

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Roshi said:
yes i guess i can provide a spot away from wind and possibly a a hut like a greenhouse, that will get warm for sure. In the winter it would be inside. When it grows up it can have a bigger spot in the basement.

what are some of the smaller species

Well Redfoots are smaller than Yellowfoots, and some "types" of redfoots (ones that come from different areas of South America) are claimed to be smaller or larger than the "average." But I'm not a breeder, and I don't know much about other species, so the extent of my knowledge ends here... Good luck!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Welcome. :D

I look forward to seeing photos of your chelonian friend when you get it!

I use a combination of cypress, coco coir, and sphagnum peat moss, plus I put some timothy hay in Taco's hide for her to burrow into. I pour water onto it every few days and stir it around to maintain humidity and I keep two cloth bags of damp peat moss in her hide as well. :p

You probably already know that Radiated tortoises are very expensive, but in my opinion they have the most beautiful shells of any tortoise species (photos!). :cool:

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-5245.html

JourneyTort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Welcome, from a fellow Canadian.

You will find once you start looking to purchase your tort that you do not have as big a variety to choose from in Canada. I have seen red foots in abundance here compared to the other species and occassionally sulcata's (which in my opinion is totally ridiculous) and leopards. I believe you can also get russians and/or hermans but not so easily (i.e. you would have to wait until some are available).

Definitely no radiated torts (or I would have one ;) ) and as you can see I have Indian Stars but they are few and far between and I would like to get a couple more but I am unable to find any.

I am not sure if it is feasible to keep a tort out all summer here. I think at first you would only be able to have them out a couple of hours during the day and bring them back in because the temp's are just not warm enough and I would worry about the night time temps (depending on where you live) especially for a young tort.

Good luck in your search and do your research before purchasing.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Hi and welcome to the forum. I also live in So. Cal. So can't help you much there but as far as substrate. Please do not use Pine or Cedar. These two have caused repiratory and eye problems in tortoises. Good luck on your search and good for you for doing your research first. I did research for over a year before I got my first Greek.

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
Welcome Roshi,

I'm fellow Canadian located in Calgary,Alberta. I agree with Journey Tort regarding the limited selection in Canada. I see a lot of Redfoots and Sulcata but all the other speices are hard to find. Tortoises cost a small fortune in Canada. Large pet store like Petland overprice their torts. Be careful were you get your tortoise, some dealers smuggle in their torts from the States.They are cheaper but unfortunately you aren't guranteed their health. Breeders are your best bets.

I currently have 3 adult Hermanns and one baby Hermann. I might have some hatchlings available in the summer. Since you are looking for non-hibernating tortoise, Hermanns won't work for you.

I keep the all outside for a 4 to 6 hours a day in summer time and I bring them inside for night.

good luck with your tortoise search

Roshi

5 Year Member
Evora,Portugal
Thank you for all the tips. so no ceder or pine, ok.
yes true there is a limited selection, but i have seen some yellow foots here.

but there are box turtles too if i'm not mistaken. Do all species of box turtles hibernate? i will ask in the box turtle section too.

Status
Not open for further replies.