Hello from Boulder, Colorado

AliciaM1386

Location (City and/or State)
Boulder, CO
Hello everyone! My name is Alicia and my husband, Kevin and I have talked about owning a tortoise for over 4-5 years. We currently own other species of reptiles both desert and tropical ones. We have been doing a ton of research and have finally decided on adding red footed tortoise to our family. We have a current indoor and outdoor setup already we have just be struggling to find a tortoise breeder or someone that is rehoming one. I've looked on craigslist, morphmarket and a couple other sites. I am looking forward to learning any kind of tips or tricks that work for tortoise owners.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Hello everyone! My name is Alicia and my husband, Kevin and I have talked about owning a tortoise for over 4-5 years. We currently own other species of reptiles both desert and tropical ones. We have been doing a ton of research and have finally decided on adding red footed tortoise to our family. We have a current indoor and outdoor setup already we have just be struggling to find a tortoise breeder or someone that is rehoming one. I've looked on craigslist, morphmarket and a couple other sites. I am looking forward to learning any kind of tips or tricks that work for tortoise owners.
TRY BLAKES EXOTIC RANCH, or you can try tortstork.com cbreptiles.com

Reactions: Ink

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
? Welcome!

If you want to raise your own hatchling, I really like Tortstork. For more local breeders, there's Arizona Tortoise and Tortoise Supply. You can read up on the different breeders under the vendor review section.

Be really cautious about reptile warehouses. It's more likely you end up with a poorly started baby when you don't know exactly who it came from. It's worth it to be patient and go with a tortoise breeder. A lot of sites show out of stock right now, but you can contact them about their next clutch.

While you're waiting, you could post pics of your enclosures so that members can give some friendly feedback. Then you can know that you're totally prepared :)

AliciaM1386

Boulder, CO
Thank you everyone our red foot arrived from Tortstork at 9:15am on Tuesday this week. This was after I had opened the box it came in and soaked it in lukewarm water for 15 minutes. Today it finally ate collards and little bit of the slice of strawberry and it pooped. I have setup a wellness exam with our exotic vet just to make sure this cutie we starts off on the right foot.IMG_6185.JPG

AliciaM1386

Boulder, CO
? Welcome!

If you want to raise your own hatchling, I really like Tortstork. For more local breeders, there's Arizona Tortoise and Tortoise Supply. You can read up on the different breeders under the vendor review section.

Be really cautious about reptile warehouses. It's more likely you end up with a poorly started baby when you don't know exactly who it came from. It's worth it to be patient and go with a tortoise breeder. A lot of sites show out of stock right now, but you can contact them about their next clutch.

While you're waiting, you could post pics of your enclosures so that members can give some friendly feedback. Then you can know that you're totally prepared :)
This my current setup its an aivituvin tortoise house. I'm using forest floor and sphagnum moss to help create higher humidity, I'm using a dome fixture hanging above the enclosure from an adjustable lamp stand with a 100w basking bulb, a T5 UVB linear bulb. In the evening I have a CHE that is 60w because the room the tortoise house is doesn't go below 60 degrees.

Attachments

• FD2AD8E6-C800-4759-A04E-0C13B83DB129.jpeg
    FD2AD8E6-C800-4759-A04E-0C13B83DB129.jpeg
    341.4 KB · Views: 10

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
I would suggest grabbing some plexiglass/acrylic to cover much of the top of the enclosure (using tin foil to mold around any lights). Another option is to enclose it in an indoor greenhouse tarp, but at that point you may as well just work on a new enclosure. The wooden tortoise houses aren't great for tropical species because of the humidity that they need. It will work for you temporarily, but be on the lookout for rot. If you want to return it, you can use a Rubbermaid tub for now. Redfoot hatchlings should also really stay at 75 or above even at night, but I assume a 60w is reaching a good temp unless you have it really high up, its the same night time wattage I use for a tub about the same size. If you don't have some digital humidity/temp gauges, they are super cheap on Amazon!

I have more to say about diet and water bowl, but need to run to work! I'm sure you can find plenty of info on other threads in the forum about those, and if not, drop me a PM :)

Congrats on your baby!!

AliciaM1386

Boulder, CO
I would suggest grabbing some plexiglass/acrylic to cover much of the top of the enclosure (using tin foil to mold around any lights). Another option is to enclose it in an indoor greenhouse tarp, but at that point you may as well just work on a new enclosure. The wooden tortoise houses aren't great for tropical species because of the humidity that they need. It will work for you temporarily, but be on the lookout for rot. If you want to return it, you can use a Rubbermaid tub for now. Redfoot hatchlings should also really stay at 75 or above even at night, but I assume a 60w is reaching a good temp unless you have it really high up, its the same night time wattage I use for a tub about the same size. If you don't have some digital humidity/temp gauges, they are super cheap on Amazon!

I have more to say about diet and water bowl, but need to run to work! I'm sure you can find plenty of info on other threads in the forum about those, and if not, drop me a PM :)

Congrats on your baby!!
Thank you I’ve been using a thermal ray gun to measure the temperature and I already changed the water bowl to a drain tray they you use under a ceramic flower pot. And I most about three times a day but the plexiglass is a good idea.