Hello from Boulder, CO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunahpu

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Hi everyone! I've been lurking on this forum for several months now, and figured its about time to properly introduce myself.

My first box turtle was a wild caught ornate when I was a young kid...he's been with me for nearly 20 years now. His name is Roadkill and is the sweetest most spoiled turtle and has been very tolerant of my early mistakes. My husband and I also have a new gal that just arrived in the mail yesterday. She's a 3 year old CB three toed boxie who is still adjusting after the abrupt move. She doesn't have a name yet.

We also had a TTBT hatching, Sprout, who passed away very suddenly from unknown causes about a month ago (just a few days after a vet checkup to boot). He was with us for about 6 months, and I miss him dearly.

Oh, and my real name is Heather, but I believe there is another Heather already on the forum. You're welcome to call me Hunahpu or Huna if its easier. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Heather:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Hi Heather! Nice to have a Boulderite here. My wife and I live in Westminster, but I am a graduate student at CU. I have two Russian tortoises, and I used to keep three-toed box turtles, including a pair when I lived in Boulder as an undergrad. Welcome. :)

Hunahpu

5 Year Member
Colorado
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Hi Heather! Nice to have a Boulderite here. My wife and I live in Westminster, but I am a graduate student at CU. I have two Russian tortoises, and I used to keep three-toed box turtles, including a pair when I lived in Boulder as an undergrad. Welcome.

That's awesome to have another Coloradoan here! My hubby and I are CU alumns ourselves and he just got accepted to CU-Denver for the MBA program. May I ask what you're studying?

Russians are very awesome. We'd seriously considered them before we got our TTBT.

nickercrombie

5 Year Member
Hi heather! I'm from Colorado as well! I live in edge water with my girlfriend, who went to CU for her undergrad. We love going back up to boulder, specifically to half fast subs, what a spectacular place that is! Welcome to the forum!

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
Welcome, fellow Coloradan. I am also a CU alum. I love Boulder and in fact just got back from a hike at Chautauqua. It was a beautiful day up there. We even saw several lizards!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Hunahpu said:
That's awesome to have another Coloradoan here! My hubby and I are CU alumns ourselves and he just got accepted to CU-Denver for the MBA program. May I ask what you're studying?

Russians are very awesome. We'd seriously considered them before we got our TTBT.

That's really cool. My wife just got accepted to CU-Denver's master's in Accounting program. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up in some of the same classes together.

As for me, I am in the Ecology and Evolutionary Biology department at CU Boulder. My dissertation is on the bison gut microbiome, or the bacterial community in the digestive tract of bison. I am studying how it varies with changes in the bison's diet. I have two study sites, one in Kansas and one at the Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge, just north of Denver. I sample the bison's dung, and by sequencing the DNA in it, I can tell what the bison have eaten, and which bacterial species are present in what proportions.

As a bonus, we will be sampling Ralphie the Buffalo's poop, too. :)

Hunahpu

5 Year Member
Colorado
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

GeoTerraTestudo said:
Hunahpu said:

That's really cool. My wife just got accepted to CU-Denver's master's in Accounting program. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up in some of the same classes together.

As for me, I am in the Ecology and Evolutionary Biology department at CU Boulder. My dissertation is on the bison gut microbiome, or the bacterial community in the digestive tract of bison. I am studying how it varies with changes in the bison's diet. I have two study sites, one in Kansas and one at the Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge, just north of Denver. I sample the bison's dung, and by sequencing the DNA in it, I can tell what the bison have eaten, and which bacterial species are present in what proportions.

As a bonus, we will be sampling Ralphie the Buffalo's poop, too. :)

Your research sounds fascinating! I minored in EBIO as an undergrad. Didn't get into the micro stuff at all.

Tyrtle said:
Welcome, fellow Coloradan. I am also a CU alum. I love Boulder and in fact just got back from a hike at Chautauqua. It was a beautiful day up there. We even saw several lizards!

Nice to meet you! I haven't been to Chautauqua in a long time... Sounds like a nice hike.

Status
Not open for further replies.