Hello from Birmingham, uk

Heather Pugh

Hi guys I'm new to this forum and wanted to say hi!
My partner and I have recently brought a 2 year old horesfield tortoise, after having her for nearly a week now she still hasn't touched any food!
We have a plant pot Base as a water bowl from which she has been drinking so that doesn't seem to be an issue,but she won't touch or go anywhere near her food bowl?
Could this be a settling in period and she's still getting used to her new home or should I look to get some further advice?

Also we have noticed that when she is in her little table all she seems to do is sleep and the previous few mornings we have woken her up, but if she is out of the enclosure and free to roam she is far more active?

Any advice you could give would be fantastic as I'm starting to worry a little!
Thank you!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome from Kent, UK :)

You have come to the best place for advice. There are many experts on here.

I'd like to start by pointing you at a couple of threads that will really help you if you take time to read them:
Beginner Mistakes http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

You are correct that new torts can take an age to settle and hide away. And it may be that this is your problem. However, incorrect heat and light can also cause this problem, so we need to eliminate that first.

There are 4 important temperatures in tortoise keeping - Directly under the basking lamp (Basking at 95F/32C is essential for food digestion), Warm Side, Cool Side and Overnight Minimum. Please can you measure these and let us know what they are? It's best done with a temperature gun type thermometer which is inexpensive from Amazon.

The other essential is UVB. Many pet shops sell compact (coil type) UVB lights, but these are not suitable for tortoises as they hurt their eyes, thus causing the tort to hide away. If you have one of these, switch it off and get either a tube UVB lamp or a Mercury Vapour Bulb. The advantage of a MVB is that it provides basking heat as well, so you only need one lamp!

Put your light(s) on a timer so they come on and go off at the same time each day - less work for you and a routine for your tortoise.

While your tort is settling, it is vital to soak him every day for a good 20 minutes in warm water to prevent dehydration. Don't be concerned when he poops in the water, it's normal - just change it.

I always suggest that owners establish a routine with the tort, so the animal gets the idea that you are not strange and scary. some thing like:
Lights on, soak, put food in the enclosure, return your tort then walk away and leave your tort to explore and be brave. Don't stand watching as it's intimidating at the moment.

Finally please post pictures of your enclosure as it will help us to perfect your tort's new home. Your friend will be with you for the next 50 and more years so it is important to get things right :)

Heather Pugh

I'll grab a thermometer over the next couple of days and record the temperatures, we are using an 80 watt arcadia uv and basking bulb on the table at the minute, moist substrate to bury in with some hemp substrate and bark chippings filling the rest!

I have attached a picture of the table as it is, it's not on the floor, we had just cleaned it out and re set bits and pieces!

Thankyou!

Attachments

• DSC_0212.JPG
    DSC_0212.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 22

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Heather!

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Welcome. What are the little white dots in the substrate? If that is perlite, it is very dangerous for your tort. They can ear it and get plugged up. It could kill them. Just thought I would let you know. Would not want to see anything happen to him. He is such a cute little Russian!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi Heather

A couple of things to change.

Firstly the basking lamp must hang vertically downwards to be effective. At an angle your tort won't get what it needs. If you're using a clamp, be warned that they're unstable and the lamps tend to fall and are a fire risk. You really need to hang it from a lamp stand.

Those little white dots in your substrate - that looks like potting compost - torts try eating those thinking they're calcium rich stones and unfortunately they're harmful. Substrate should be something like orchid bark or coco coir.

Have it good and deep and then you can sink small plant pots into it holding plants rather than try to grow things in the substrate - again be careful on the compost the plant is growing in.

My next concern is the depth of your table - it's hard to tell what the height above the substrate is. Russians are expert climbers. At the least you need to cap the corners to prevent escape... you may need higher sides. Russians are incredibly active and need lots of space.

To keep the humidity up you need to tip water into the substrate and give it a good stir with your hands - you want damp - not wet. It's hard to raise humidity in an open table. @Tom recommends closed chamber for young torts.

gg888

England
Hi guys I'm new to this forum and wanted to say hi!
My partner and I have recently brought a 2 year old horesfield tortoise, after having her for nearly a week now she still hasn't touched any food!
We have a plant pot Base as a water bowl from which she has been drinking so that doesn't seem to be an issue,but she won't touch or go anywhere near her food bowl?
Could this be a settling in period and she's still getting used to her new home or should I look to get some further advice?

Also we
I'll grab a thermometer over the next couple of days and record the temperatures, we are using an 80 watt arcadia uv and basking bulb on the table at the minute, moist substrate to bury in with some hemp substrate and bark chippings filling the rest!

I have attached a picture of the table as it is, it's not on the floor, we had just cleaned it out and re set bits and pieces!

Thankyou!
Hello from Leicester! I use an 80w Arcadia bulb too and my little Bertie is getting on great with it :) remember to change it every 6 months though to keep UV levels up.
I would suggest a hide somewhere on your tort table too. Just somewhere under cover with deep substrate. Bertie loves to take himself off to bed and bury himself in a quiet place.
She might just feel a bit daunted by all of the commotion of getting a new home and seeing strangers, I'm sure she'll come around!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Heather and welcome.
I went to college in Selly Oak and I love Birmingham but not been back for years.
There's lots to learn and unfortunately pet shops don't always give the best advice for aftercare once they have made their profit. But this is the best place to find out everything from very experienced keepers world wide - Joesmum has already given you some valuable tips. A good rule for enclosures is the bigger the better and there are some great ideas in the Enclosures thread.
Digital temp guns are more accurate than the dial thermometers pet shops sell and great for spot checking different areas I bought mine on Amazon for about £10. A digital temp and humidity gauge with a probe is also good for keeping an eye on both at tort level. Also on Amazon about £7.

I use Arcadia Mini D3 MVBs too, it's very easy having heat light and uvb in one bulb (Pets at Home £39)
I also use a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) run through a thermostat to keep night temps even. (Both from The Range £55) I use MVB and CHE in wide dome fittings (£25 each in The Range) Its not cheap setting up but once you have them its only the uvb you need to replace when needed.
So read, search and ask as many questions as you need someone will get back to you in good time and you'll soon become familiar with the dos and don'ts to keep your tor safe and happy.