Hello from Arkansas

Srach

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
Hello there! I am not a tortoise owner, but I've been researching for 18 months. I looked into adopting a three-toed box turtle from a rehab/rescue in another state, but I learned by talking to a Game and Fish Commission employee here that it's not permitted to bring in a box turtle across state lines. I would love to adopt a box turtle from within Arkansas but that opportunity may never come up. I'm also kind of in love with redfoots! I think the warm, humid climate here would really suit them, and I have a place in the yard to build an enclosure.

In the meantime, sometimes I go to the zoo just to hang out and watch the sulcatas and aldabras there. :)

KronksMom

Illinois
Hello and welcome! Researching and preparing so much will put you in a significantly better position to be a tortoise parent than a lot of us were in when we started out!

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
Welcome and good for you for researching before you get your new tortoise.

KronksMom

Illinois
Thank you! I still feel really nervous though!
That's why it's such a good thing that you found this community. There are people here who haven't just been raising tortoises, they've been studying them. Some people for decades. They've changed the way we do things in tortoise husbandry, because there's always room for improvement. So this is the place to ask all the questions you have, and to do all your research. If what someone tells you doesn't make sense, ask for the reasoning behind it. That person may not know, but someone will.
Plus, it's nice just to be able to talk to people who share similar interests.