Hello from Arizona

sheldon123

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
The way this is worded is cause for concern… You have a heating element of some sort for night heat, right? Sorry if I'm reading it wrong...
Hello again and thank you for replying to me. I have a heat source which is a lamp with a bulb purchased at AZ Reptile store that supplies little guy with heat and UV rays. We were told to turn it off for 8 hours during a 24 hour period but our tortoise is inside right now and the house temp is about 75 which from my reading is too low so I have been keeping it on all the time. His enclosure is large enough that he can step away from the light and heat to the other side which temps at 82 and he has a place to hide too. Do you think this is okay. My biggest concern was how to soak him properly and how to maintain the 85-95 degree water during the 30 minute soak. Any suggestions.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I use four things for heating and lighting:
1. Basking bulb. I use regular 65 watt incandescent flood bulbs form the hard water store in a ceramic based fixture. I adjust the height up or down to get the correct temperature, and run it on a digital timer for about 12 hours a day.
2. A regular florescent tube in the 5000-6500K color range. A regular 10.0 UV tube will work for this too. I run this one on the same timer as the heat lamp.
3. Arcadia 12% HO tube in a reflector hood. I run this one for only 3-4 hours mid day on its on timer, and mount it about 20" above the tortoise.
4. Ceramic heating elelment set on a thermostat to keep ambient above 80 day and night.

They need it dark at night, but still warm. The basking lamp should only be on for 12-13 hours a day, after which the CHE/thermostat will take over after that.

All of this is much easier to accomplish in a closed chamber.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I use four things for heating and lighting:
1. Basking bulb. I use regular 65 watt incandescent flood bulbs form the hard water store in a ceramic based fixture. I adjust the height up or down to get the correct temperature, and run it on a digital timer for about 12 hours a day.
2. A regular florescent tube in the 5000-6500K color range. A regular 10.0 UV tube will work for this too. I run this one on the same timer as the heat lamp.
3. Arcadia 12% HO tube in a reflector hood. I run this one for only 3-4 hours mid day on its on timer, and mount it about 20" above the tortoise.
4. Ceramic heating elelment set on a thermostat to keep ambient above 80 day and night.

They need it dark at night, but still warm. The basking lamp should only be on for 12-13 hours a day, after which the CHE/thermostat will take over after that.

All of this is much easier to accomplish in a closed chamber.

Come on @Tom invite her to the TTPG conference in Mesa !:)