Hello from Alpine, California

DianeS

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, California
I have had my Sulcata’s for 13 years. Two males. One (Crush) had gown a bit larger than the other (Monster). For the past 3 days, Crush is flipping Monster over. I think though Monster is being the aggressor and since Crush is bigger, he flips him over.

I have witness Monster, a few days ago, raise himself up on his front legs, as high as he can go, it also appears he is hanging his junk out. (gross) this last for about 5 minutes. Anyway, could this possibly mean that it is mating time?? Is Monster trying to show Crush he is tough?? They both travel back and forth

along a wooden fence line, when they run into each other, Monster tries to go through/ over Crush. Even if Crush goes a different way, Monster follow him. I have to check on the all day, yesterday he was flipped 3x’s. They both have a very nice large heated house that they share, that doesn’t seem to be a problem. What do you think? Any suggestions on what to do?
first time posting, not sure how this works

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
You really should seperate them. This is aggressive behavior. They can and sometimes do kill each other. Tortoises are territorial and loners. They don’t like company. Specially two males.

DianeS

San Diego, California
Thank You for your response. I have noticed today that Monster is trying to mount Crush. When I took them to the Vet, a while back, I was told they are two males. Maybe this is a mating time??? I did separate them. Monster is being very agressive

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Thank You for your response. I have noticed today that Monster is trying to mount Crush. When I took them to the Vet, a while back, I was told they are two males. Maybe this is a mating time??? I did separate them. Monster is being very agressive

Yes, separating them is a good idea.

If you want to, we can clarify the sexes. Just post a picture of their plastron / tail area.

Best,

-Thomas

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Many years ago I saw a picture of a sulcata that had been rammed in his side by another sulcata. The picture was very gross-looking. In the intervening years I've tried to find that picture to no avail. It would be a wonderful deterrent to people who insist upon keeping two sulcatas together. The poor rammed tortoise's shell was split open on the side and you could see his organs, etc.

Quite a few keepers get by keeping a group of tortoises together, but very seldom does the pair thing work.