Hello from AL (USA)

8james8

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
Greetings! I've actually lurked this forum a while back, but due to military assignment overseas I lost access to sites like this. Now that I am retired from the military and am in the market, I figured I would join the community.

I have raised turts and torts for 28 years. So hopefully I can provide some insight and assistance, I am sure I will receive a wealth of it myself :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi (is it 'James'?), and welcome to the Forum!

Thank you for your service...and I really mean that!!!

What species of tortoise (or turtles) do you keep?

8james8

5 Year Member
Alabama
Yes it is James :)

I've raised all species of boxies when I was younger. Painteds and multiple species of sliders. Several years ago I made the venture into Sri Lankan stars and really enjoyed them. Unfortunately because of my last assignment (overseas combat zone) I had to part with my stars. Now that I am out of the military and settled down, I am actually looking into either a pair of stars or I might dive into radiata.

8james8

5 Year Member
Alabama
UPDATE: Search going well. Setting up my CBW application - hoping to have that approved come fall. Also have a super lead for high yellow Sri Lankan Stars (will know more tonight).

Pretty exciting - the kids are already asking when their tortoises are going to be here. :)

8james8

5 Year Member
Alabama
Pics of my new Sri Lankans. I will have them home in about 4 weeks. My enclosures are being shipped hopefully in 3 weeks, but they said it could take another 2 weeks after that. Oh the wait is killing me already. So excited tof have stars. Now.....just a matter of time for radiata.

Attachments

• 20160414_124235.jpg
    20160414_124235.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
  • 20160411_185309.jpeg
    20160411_185309.jpeg
    977.6 KB · Views: 10

8james8

5 Year Member
Alabama
I hope that I get 1 male and 2 females. But I figured with three it's a very good chance that I will end up with one of each sex. I'll probably find some friends for them later this year.

8james8

5 Year Member
Alabama
The two grouped together are. I am waiting to find out if the other was a different clutch (the breeder had 2 clutches land at the same time so I chose while they were all grouped together). I'll post more pics of them once I get them home. I figure 2 or 3 more that are unrelated should round out the group nicely.

8james8

5 Year Member
Alabama
They have 4 more friends coming.

Attachments

• All four 002.JPG
    All four 002.JPG
    772.3 KB · Views: 16

8james8

5 Year Member
Alabama
The bottom right one is from a different clutch. The other 3 are clutch mates and we're TSF.

So going with odds again. I should have a 2 to 3 males and 4 to 5 females between the 7.

Pretty excited to get them home and track their progression.

8james8

5 Year Member
Alabama
A special thanks to G-STARS for the assist in tracking the 4 down.