Hello from a new tortoise owner!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
I actually just started bathing Travis once a week! Those pictures are from a few weeks ago, though, so she definitely looks better now. Are the worms that one can buy at a bait/tackle shop okay to feed her?

Thanks so much for your help!
Yeah. I get worms from tackle shop sometimes. You need to start a wormery up, or a small compost bin that will attract slugs. Go out after dark with torch to collect slugs and snails. Especially when it rains. It's fun, and your neighbours will think your nuts. :D

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I was told that most of the worms that you get at the bait shop are mass-produced and usually fed newspaper. Many people raise worms by feeding them newspaper. I wouldn't want my tortoise or turtle eating newspaper so I would strongly suggest you make up your own worm bin. You can do it easily and cheaply, look online for a bunch of ideas. You can keep it going indoors all winter.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I was told that most of the worms that you get at the bait shop are mass-produced and usually fed newspaper. Many people raise worms by feeding them newspaper. I wouldn't want my tortoise or turtle eating newspaper so I would strongly suggest you make up your own worm bin. You can do it easily and cheaply, look online for a bunch of ideas. You can keep it going indoors all winter.
I found best way to breed worms is with layers of grass cuttings within the soil. At the minute we just have a mound of cut grass and soil in the corner of our garden out of the way. Plenty of red worms. Torts go mad for them. Turn into ninjas. I've had them jab at my finger as they miss the worms. Good call on newspaper. Never thought of that.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Definilty a western Bell hingeback kinixys belliana nogyuie. They're aweskme tortoises. These guys are omnivors so they will eat worms, snails and boiled eggs for protein.
How did you know this was a kbn so easily?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What is in that double light hood? Are you running one of those coil type cfl UV bulbs? Those can damage their eyes. I wouldn't use one. Looks like you got some typical pet store advice.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi everyone!

I adopted a tortoise from a friend of mine about a month ago. He had Travis for about 16 years but no longer wanted to take care of her, so I said that I would be happy to take her on. I had wanted a tortoise since I was very young, so I was so excited to bring her into my home!

My friend had been keeping her in a very small tank where she couldn't even fit under the shaded area. It looked as though she was in the same area for 16 years straight, so I splurged on a new and bigger home for her (Tortoise House by Zoo Med). I fill the house with Zoo Med's Forest Floor Bedding and change that once a week.

I dust her food with calcium every other day, and I also dust with vitamins once a week. She also has a cuttlebone to chew on. I have been feeding her a variety of greens, including dandelion greens, escarole, chickory, collard greens, and radicchio. I try to give her two different kinds a day so she has variety in her diet.

I am still feeling very new to this whole process, and I would love some advice on how to better care for my new tortoise. I have been feeding her every day an amount about the size of my hand, but I have no idea if this is too much or too little. I also know that she shouldn't be eating only greens, but I can't get her to eat any of the fiber-filled food that you can buy at the pet store. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Teal and Travis

View attachment 140954
There is a really good care sheet pinned under the hingebacks section for you species.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
How did you know this was a kbn so easily?
Just by looks. There's tiny charactersistics that the other species dont have that tells them apart. Eastern bells are shaped differently, speks are shaped different too and have different heads and are flatter. Mainly the pattern and the plastron.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Erosa and homeana looks different from all other kinixys. Otherwise they could be different to distinguish some times. Spekes and lobatsiana are normally easy to distinguish from the color. And with the old belliana species (zombensis, nougeiy, belliana) they're normally to distinguish in color and size. The shell color of zombensis is really conspicuous and this species normally have a normal size of 22-27cm and they're not so strong.
Belliana belliana has a boring pattern without many conspicuous color on their shell. They're also not the strongest kind of them.
Nougeiy like on your picture often has this brown she'll with some white "points" on it. And you can see that this body is big and strong what is typical for them especially for females.
Hopefully that's enough anyfoot :D
That's the way I distinguish kinixys kinds ;)

Teal

Vermont
What is in that double light hood? Are you running one of those coil type cfl UV bulbs? Those can damage their eyes. I wouldn't use one. Looks like you got some typical pet store advice.
I would love some advice on what light bulbs to use! I am using a 100 watt UVB coil bulb in one side and a 60 watt ceramic heat bulb in the other. Is there something else I should be using?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Definitely, yes.
Coil bulbs are known to have damaged tortoises eyes, dispose of it at once, even those that aren't harmful seem to produce inadequate UVB.
You can use an MVB (mercury vapour bulb) which provides heat, light and UVB in one, or a strip UVB light and basking bulb.
CHEs (ceramic heat emitters) are especially good for night time use, when linked to a thermostat as it provides the heat, without light as tortoises need darkness to sleep properly.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I would love some advice on what light bulbs to use! I am using a 100 watt UVB coil bulb in one side and a 60 watt ceramic heat bulb in the other. Is there something else I should be using?
Please take your coil bulb out asap. Bad bulb. Use your CHE on a thermostat for the heat and a low uvb bulb. They don't need a strong uvb. I've got a 10b% uvb but with dappled shade from it. A 5% uvb would do. They don't like very bright lighting.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I'm not certain your 100 watt is a coil bulb. Do you have a picture of the bulb or the box it came in?

100 watts is too many watts to be a compact florescent unless it is proclaiming to be a 100 watt in terms of equal lumens output.